A faster, simpler, better myford touch is here - MFT Update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A faster, simpler, better myford touch is here - MFT Update

FordIVTteam

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
Attention Explorer owners!

A faster, better MyFord Touch® is right around the corner. Ford has developed an exciting new MyFord Touch® Performance Upgrade® for your vehicle that will, in addition to several other benefits, improve the speed and efficiency of the MyFord Touch® interface. We will be detailing these improvements in the weeks to come with a series of videos that you can find right here on this thread. Upgrade packets will be mailed to owners over the next few weeks. Check out the video below to learn more about what's included in this exciting upgrade.

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Attention Explorer owners!

A faster, better MyFord Touch® is right around the corner. Ford has developed an exciting new MyFord Touch® Performance Upgrade® for your vehicle that will, in addition to several other benefits, improve the speed and efficiency of the MyFord Touch® interface. We will be detailing these improvements in the weeks to come with a series of videos that you can find right here on this thread. Upgrade packets will be mailed to owners over the next few weeks. Check out the video below to learn more about what's included in this exciting upgrade.

Rebecca

another interesting one dealing with voice recognition and why they chose a resistive touch screen vs. capacitive touch screen:

Rebecca, is this an official announcement that the software has indeed passed beta testing and is being released to consumers? (seems that way).

If so, that's awesome news!
-J

another interesting one dealing with voice recognition and why they chose a resistive touch screen vs. capacitive touch screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMfsqWvn3G0&feature=relmfu

Rebecca, is this an official announcement that the software has indeed passed beta testing and is being released to consumers? (seems that way).

If so, that's awesome news!
-J

Yes it is, jrmexplorer :)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

Excellent news!

That video was posted awhile back.

Must be official if its coming across the newswire.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...en-controls-update-after-rankings-plunge.html

Ford to Send Customers Software Update for Touch-Screen Controls By Keith Naughton - Mar 5, 2012 1:00 PM ET

LinkedIn
Google +1

Print
QUEUE

Q

Ford Motor Co. (F), which has plunged in quality rankings, on March 8 will begin sending more than 300,000 owners of the Ford Explorer, Edge, Focus and Lincoln MKX a UBS flash drive loaded with new software to fix problems with MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch systems, the company said.

“We know that there’s a group of customers that reported that there were features of MyFord Touch that were not working properly and we’ve taken that feedback seriously,” Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s product-development chief, said today at a briefing in Dearborn, Michigan. “We expect these improvements will put us back on track in the quality rankings.”

John Sommers II/Bloomberg

2011 Ford Motor Co. Explorer sport utility vehicles (SUV) move along the production line at the company's Louisville Assembly Plant in Louisville on Dec. 9, 2010.

2011 Ford Motor Co. Explorer sport utility vehicles (SUV) move along the production line at the company's Louisville Assembly Plant in Louisville on Dec. 9, 2010. Photographer: John Sommers II/Bloomberg

Glitches with the touch screens controlling audio, phone, climate and navigation systems were one reason Ford fell the most of any car company in Consumer Reports annual Automaker Report Cards last month. Ford slid to 10th place, from fifth a year earlier, in the magazine’s testing of braking, handling, comfort, convenience, safety and fuel economy.

“Subpar reliability of some new vehicles, due largely to the troublesome MyFord Touch infotainment system and Power-Shift automatic transmission, hurt its report-card grade,” the Yonkers, New York, magazine said in a Feb.
28 statement.

In October, Ford fell to 20th from 10th in annual reliability rankings from Consumer Reports. The technology also was blamed by J.D. Power & Associates for Ford falling to 23rd from fifth in its 2011 new-car quality survey.
Ford Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally made quality a pillar of his turnaround plan for the second-largest U.S. automaker.

Consumers can install the new software themselves, which takes about 60 minutes, or take it to a dealer for assistance, Ford said. The software upgrade, which dealers received today, is aimed to prevent system crashes, the automaker said. Ford redesigned more than 1,000 screens on the system, to make buttons and graphics larger and more responsive.

Ford said in November it expected the download time would be about 45 minutes. The company added more content and changed additional screens and functions in response to feedback received from 1,700 employees and dealers, Kuzak said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Keith Naughton in Dearborn, Michigan , at knaughton3@bloomberg.net

Wait...is today April Fools Day? Lets all make sure...:D

Finally....fingers are crossed.:thumbsup:

I can't wait. I just saw a video on CNET showing the update package and how to install the update which got me excited especially after my family complained loudly about how lame MFT was on a weekend road trip (with Bluetooth audio working only every third time I tried it, USB audio cutting out requiring me to disconnect and reconnect my iPhone, and having the nav be unworkable once during the trip because it showed our location being about 3-4 miles from where it actually was).

I hope the update fixes these problems (because I really want to like this vehicle).

i just received a call from my service advisor....they got the updates in the dealership. i scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning, so i'll be getting my update done at the dealership tomorrow cause i'm an impatient ****....hahaha....i'll report back with my impressions.

yep, the service guy at my dealership just called me and stated they received it at the dealership...i'll be going in tomorrow morning for my update...i can't wait until i receive it in the mail..... once i do get it in the mail, i'll just update my wife's car myself.(2012 focus)

i just received a call from my service advisor....they got the updates in the dealership. i scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning, so i'll be getting my update done at the dealership tomorrow cause i'm an impatient ****....hahaha....i'll report back with my impressions.

Just FYI, if you have navigation, I don't believe the dealers will have the map updates, you'd need to wait for the package to come in the mail for that.

doh! i DO have navigation.. good thing is, i rarely use nav anyway unless i'm going out of town.....

so everything can still be updated and everything, just not the navigation ?

IF this is a huge issue, why not just wait for the drive to show up so you have a proper update? I mean seriously...

doh! i DO have navigation.. good thing is, i rarely use nav anyway unless i'm going out of town.....

so everything can still be updated and everything, just not the navigation ?

I would imagine the update will work fine, but I would think the old SD card would not work w/ the new navigation since they are changing map providers. It should give you an SD card error with the old card.

I honestly can't tell you for sure that this is the case, just an assumption based on the fact they are changing map providers. Once you get the new SD card in the mail, you should be able to pop it in and away you go. Either way the update of the system should work fine if you absolutely can't wait.

IF this is a huge issue, why not just wait for the drive to show up so you have a proper update? I mean seriously...

honestly, it's not a huge issue for me to not have navigation for a lil while. i really don't use it much. the only time i do use it is when i'm going out of town or somewhere i've never been to before....and even if either one of those scenarios arise, i still have my smart phone with google maps....:D

Not thinking about the use of the system, just thinking about the integration to your system, and how a half-install would work vs. a proper full install.

If nav can't be added after the truck is built, who knows how things could be affected. It may be no big deal, but it could affect warranty status, seeing as Ford will be super tight on warranty claims on these things I think...

Rebecca,
Any way to ensure that Ford has our address for the update package? I never got a letter announcing the update nor did I get the My Ford Touch magazine that others have stated they received.

I am registered on syncmyride.com (with address info) and fordowner.com (with address info). Anything else I (or others like me) should do to ensure we receive the update timely?

-J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rebecca,
Any way to ensure that Ford has our address for the update package? I never got a letter announcing the update nor did I get the My Ford Touch magazine that others have stated they received.

I am registered on syncmyride.com (with address info) and fordowner.com (with address info). Anything else I (or others like me) should do to ensure we receive the update timely?

-J

I'd like to know this also.

Back