A few questions about a Mark VIII | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A few questions about a Mark VIII

so what would cause a perfectly fine air ride sytem to deflate all corners over night?

Chances ARE the bags are history, BUT there is a slim chance that you could pull the soleniods and change the o-rings.

The way the system works, when the system is OFF, the soleniods close.

Either you have leaking bags or solenoid o-rings.. more than likely it's the bags, but you could check the Orings.. it'd take about an hour.

I would say.. Let the air ride pump the car up.. then shut off the air ride and spray the bags with some soapy water...when you do the fronts, you want to spray the bags themselves, then go inside the engine compartment and pull the covers off the tops of the struts and spray soapy water there as well.
Sometimes the front struts will leak thru the top..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on Tommy, you know you want to take a drive to Ohio in the Mark 8. I know there's a image of a Mark 8 and a executive airliner that Tiff once showed me.. There's your airfare right there :D

I love road trips in the Mark...
Hell we drive up to Jeffs house frequently "on a whim".

And I like to drive the car so much, that I drive PAST 3 dragstrips within 20 miles of my house.. to go race at a track that is 82 mile away..ONE WAY!.

half the fun.. is GETTING THERE!

im so EXCITED!!!!

ive been reading up about these cars a lot.
i just missed an ebay auction for two front airbags :(

Turns out she hit a pot hole on the passenger front and blew the bag. Im still getting new rears though. I'm trying to figure out what exhuast combo and intake to put on the car. Theres just soo many.

For exhaust...

I ran 2.5 inch pipe from the front to the rear and had them create an Xpipe just behind the transmission, with some 2.5 inch center/center Magnaflows.

This is the third exhaust that I put on the car.
First was True Duals with no Crossover and some 40 series flowmasters.
1. the true dual without an X/H/Crossover pipe made the car slow down.
2. the 40 series flowmasters rotted out internally in no time flat.
3. without some form of Xpipe or crossover the car sounded like and I quote "a hayhauling pickup truck".. it was raspy and made alot of needless racket.. not to mention DRONE which was hideous.

The second system I had on the car had an H pipe, with flowmasters which again.. rotted out in no time flat.
But.. with the H pipe my car picked up the lost ET from the "true dual system"..and it sounded ALOT better

Which is why I eventually ditched the system and had a new 2.5 inch system w a X pipe and the magnaflow mufflers...
Sounds great, runs great...
3rd time was the charm!!!!

AS for intakes...or Cold Air kits...
I "had" a C&L mass air meter from Lincoln Motorsports, against all the tuners advice I spent this money when I should have spent it elsewhere.

Save your money on the CIA crap... apply it to either your suspension or in a tuning solution such as the SCT proracer package.

The problem I had with the C&L was...at WOT the maf voltage would "top out" at 2 volts!!!
the maf transfer function goes from 0-5 volts, so at WOT my PCM was "thinking" my car was at "half throttle" which made the shift schedule and the torque convertor lock up schedule "goofy".

I went around and around and AROUND trying to figure out what the problem was.. until I datalogged the maf.. and found out the C&L meter was "lying to the PCM".

On a stock mark 8 there is ALOT of extra fuel in the stock calibration.
The C&L leans out the mixture by lying to the PCM...and the car runs on the fuel table in the "1/2 throttle range" and the PCM never goes to the WOT part of the program.
On a bone stock Mark 8 this would be acceptable but not "optimum".
Once you get into the tuning aspect, the Air Meter lying to the PCM is a bad thing......

The stock mark 8 maf is more than adequate for a N/A application.
No need to put a Larger Air meter on it..until you get into a "blown application".

Remember when dealing with computers.. the old adage G.I.G.O. {garbage in, garbage out} meaning that if you give your computer garbage information it's going to give you BACK garbage.

Just say NO to Aftermarket Cold air kits and for SURE the C&L Air meter that is being sold by Lincoln Motorsports.. for a much higher price than you could buy it from Lee Bender at C&L directly.
I loathe "rebadged" performance items.. and in this case.. Lincoln Motorsports didn't even bother to "rebadge" it... as it plainly says C&L on the meter itself.

the number 1 best mod you can do to this car is Gears, 4.10's or 4.30's.
After that the most bang for the buck mod you can do is the SCT PRORACER PACKAGE...
These two mods alone will take your 15.30 car down to a low 14 second ride... and possibly into the 13's under good conditions at a near sea level dragstrip.

hope this helps

can you snap me a picture of your exhuast set up......and a possible sound clip?

can you snap me a picture of your exhuast set up......and a possible sound clip?

You know, I dont think I have a pic of the exhaust.. I'll have to see if Jeff has one from the motor swap day..I'll see what I can find.

As for a sound clip...

Best I can do there is this video that Tiffany shot at the last race.
It was Jeff/SVO/NastyHoe in the right lane and my car in the left lane.
ALL MARK 8 FINAL ROUND!
WOOT
HAHA
http://i11.photobucket.com/player.s...lbums/a166/Tripany/Sealy/9-22-07/MOV00533.flv

If you listen closely you can hear my exhaust AND jeffs exhaust..
mine is the "ruder of the two" and his is the more "mellow exotic sound".

his is stock exhaust pipes with the stock mufflers replaced with some "hand me down" flowmasters.

Also.. the commentary from the tower is pretty good!
THANKS TODD!!

and i bought it :D

HAHAHAHHAHA! the sickness has just begun! :D

Ok now get some pics up so we can see it.

BTW, ndoghouse (Danny) dropped his car off with me and I had a custom 2.5" dual system put on it with a Dynomax 2.5" dual in/out mounted midship and it sounds great, and better than that NO DRONE!!!!

Jeff

Oh look.. he's ALIIIIVE!
haha

hahahahah someone turned the internets on back at the shop!

Jeff

Here is another video from a couple of years ago..

Tiffany in the Grey Ghost and Myself in Grandmas Car at Car Club Wars at Houston Motorsports Park.

There were 3 races being run in this video
Original Eliminator
Consulation Race and Powder Puff.

The Lincolns did pretty well..
I made it to the final round before taking myself out on the tree..haha

If you listen closely, you might get a whiff of the exhaust note over the Iron Maiden music..haha {I didn't make this video, it was sent to me}

http://media.putfile.com/Car-Club-Wars-Bracket-Race-at-Houston-Motorsports-Park

congrats 97V8!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will love it!!
thanks for the props XLRVIII on the bird, but were still (never) finished its finally in primer should a nice pretty blue
+2 on the maf waste of money, we had one on the sohc that was in the bird, no real diff, and we put it on the dohc and it made the idle funny and it surged after talking with the tuner we put the stock on and all is well. for intake mods, you can remove the air silencer (big snorkel below airbox) and shave off the "lungs" off the intake tube, slap in a k&n panel filter and viola!!
as for exhaust mines stock and the bird is far from it (kooks headers and 4 mufflers no cats, still loud)
heres him pulling away normally
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=18392077
and heres him driving by (trying to get it to down shift as he passes me)
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=18392756

Hello guys, do you know how many of these two toned seats came in the Mark VIII's? I have seen two locally in a few years, both were red LSC's. I'd like to find a red 98 LSC some day, but I need to do something honorable with my red 91 Special Edition first. Regards,

Attachments

• MarkVIII LSC SE 01.jpg
    MarkVIII LSC SE 01.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 167

The two tone stuff came in the 98 collectors edition... if my memory serves me correctly.

There weren't many of them made and they are hard to find.
In that picture you see the "half wood/half leather" collectors edition steering wheel..they also have a wooden shifter knob instead of the leather one found in the other marks.

The collectors series cars were Toredor Red and Whatever the white/creme/oxford color is...

hope this helps

It does, but I need more space and time, before I could begin. Two project cars, one work vehicle, sell four or five, then I could start looking.

I had three pictures of this eBay car saved, I recall now that it had the Collectors Edition labeling. Thanks,

Attachments

• MarkVIII LSC SE.jpg
    MarkVIII LSC SE.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 174
  • MarkVIII LSC CE 02.jpg
    MarkVIII LSC CE 02.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 166

The half wood steering wheel sells for 500.00
the wooden shift knob also sells for 300-500.00 IF you can find one..

yup i want i want, even all the right color (as mine:D)

but I need to do something honorable with my red 91 Special Edition first. Regards,

Don,

I have a very special suprise for you, that's sitting in my shop right now, I'll bring some pics home tomorrow night :D;)

Jeff - :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I miss my first 91 SE, it was so nice. I didn't realize how nice until looking for a replacement. Regards,

Attachments

• 1991 Mark VII upload.jpg
    1991 Mark VII upload.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 175

Back