Downgrading from (8" MFT with Nav) to (4.2" non-MFT) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Downgrading from (8" MFT with Nav) to (4.2" non-MFT)

Ark =D

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
As the subject line says ... I am fed up with the crappy Nav unit in my 2013 Explorer. I've only owned the Ex for 2 months, and the Nav hasn't worked right for 99% of that time. The dealer is completely ignoring me. That being said:

I'd like to know what's involved in gutting the 8" MFT and downgrading back to the 4.2" screen. My intention is to install an aftermarket Nav unit along with the Maestro RR to retain Sync and all of its features, but the only dash kits available for the 2011+ Explorer require the 4.2" screen. I've researched and know how to retain the use of the factory rear view camera with an aftermarket radio. The Maestro RR with a compatible aftermarket radio will keep all the vehicle controls on the radio's screen (it works great, I had a Mustang with this setup).

Anyone have any experience at all doing this? I really have no desire to get the factory Nav working as it appears lots of others have had years-long sagas between themselves and Ford. I'd rather gut the system and hand the bits of it back to the dealer in a cardboard box.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps I'm missing something as it quite late here. You say you want to downgrade to a 4.2" screen and then say "the only dash kits available for the 2011+ Explorer require the 4.2" screen". Isn't that what you want?? Or is it that the screen isn't part of the kit?
I don't recall anyone going this route before. BTW I've had no issues with the Navigation in my previous or current vehicle.

Peter

Hey Peter!

First I want to apologize, I was feeling the burn of frustration when I posted yesterday and I made a rather incomplete post. Sorry about that. Second, I understand and appreciate that you've never had Nav issues, but I certainly am and there's a lot of others who have as well.

So I've owned my Explorer for two months. The first week I had it, the Nav worked fine. Randomly after that, the accuracy of where my vehicle was on the map got really wonky at times, sometimes even spinning the vehicle around and showing it going to opposite direction down the road. Other times, I'd be in the middle of a corn field somewhere. After about the fourth week of owning the Explorer, it began saying "Navigation Fault" every time I start the car and will not, under any circumstances, get a GPS signal. I've tried all the standard fixes: popping out the Nav SD card and reinserting it, pulling the #29 fuse, removing any USB/SD cards and doing a Master Reset, and disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 15+ minutes. None of it has had any effect. My Ford dealer hasn't been responsive, I would imagine because I had some other issues with the Explorer and they're tired of dealing with me. The only other suggestion I have seen that I haven't tried is swapping the SD card for a different one. I picked up a used A4 card for $12 on eBay so once it arrives, we'll see if that has any positive effect.

As far as dash kits are concerned, let me show you one example: https://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-5828CH-Installation-Explorer-4-3-Inch/dp/B00DJFCTUM

The purpose of these kits is to make an opening in the dash, plus supply the necessary mount points, for aftermarket radios and Nav units. In order to keep the cost low, such dash kits don't come with the screen. They expect you to transplant the screen that was included with the car. Unfortunately though, there is no dash kit that works with the 8" MFT system. I can source the smaller screen from eBay, but I'm not sure if there's more to it or not. I know if I pull the 8" screen out, the APIC comes with it, and I'm just not sure if I need to do more than JUST replace the screen and install the dash kit.

I've never been content with factory radios and have always installed an aftermarket unit in every car I've ever owned. The 8" MFT system will be difficult to replace, and I wouldn't bother trying it at all... IF THE FACTORY NAV WORKED!!! Haha!

What version of MFT do you have?

I'm 99% sure it's 3.6.2, but I am at work right now and can't check. I will check later and confirm.

Why do you ask?

I'm 99% sure it's 3.6.2, but I am at work right now and can't check. I will check later and confirm.

Why do you ask?
Thanks for clarifying. Just for your info, 3.8 is the latest version. If you don't have that perhaps try updating the system and see if anything improves. Member jmr061 may be able to provide more info on your APIM question.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the info. I signed into my account on Syncmyride.com. It says my Sync is at the latest version but that my last update was done on March 22nd, 2014. 3.8 seems like it was released in late 2015.

Any ideas?

Peter,

Thanks for the info. I signed into my account on Syncmyride.com. It says my Sync is at the latest version but that my last update was done on March 22nd, 2014. 3.8 seems like it was released in late 2015.

Any ideas?
That note that you are up to date is not uncommon. I had that once and I had Ford IVT send me the update on a flash drive. Your dealer can also update the system and it should be free. I believe a member posted a link to the update but I haven't searched for it yet.

I just got done chatting with a Sync agent, and was told that I could have my dealership do it for free. I will look for the link to download the update myself though, as I'd prefer to just do it myself. Thanks for the input.

Fantastic! I was reading through that thread just now but had only managed to get to about post #200. Thanks for saving me some time!

I will get the update installed over lunch today and will report back.

I was successful over lunch hour, upgrading from 3.6.2 to 3.8. It did not, however, fix my Nav problem so I'll go back to my original question: any techie-type folks here have experience with ripping out the 8" MFT/APIM?

I was successful over lunch hour, upgrading from 3.6.2 to 3.8. It did not, however, fix my Nav problem so I'll go back to my original question: any techie-type folks here have experience with ripping out the 8" MFT/APIM?
Have you ever checked to see how many satellites your system is seeing? I think you can do that by putting it into 'Diagnostic' mode. I've never tried it but I know it has been discussed here. Just wondering if it is a 'reception' issue that you are having. I believe the GPS antenna is located under the driver's side of the dash.

Peter

Have you ever checked to see how many satellites your system is seeing? I think you can do that by putting it into 'Diagnostic' mode. I've never tried it but I know it has been discussed here. Just wondering if it is a 'reception' issue that you are having. I believe the GPS antenna is located under the driver's side of the dash.

Peter

I checked it once early on, when it was working semi-properly, but I haven't lately. When the Nav is up, the GPS with a red X icon is up full-time. I know that doesn't necessarily mean "zero satellites, 100% of the time", so I'll check it later.

Hi Ark =D,

I'm unable to comment on the aftermarket dash kit, but I do have a question. What SD card do you have now? A7 is the latest. Also, if you see the NO GPS symbol continuously when you're not in a poor GPS-access area, you might have a hardware issue.

Shaay

Hi Ark =D,

I'm unable to comment on the aftermarket dash kit, but I do have a question. What SD card do you have now? A7 is the latest. Also, if you see the NO GPS symbol continuously when you're not in a poor GPS-access area, you might have a hardware issue.

Shaay

Hi Shaay!

The SD card that came with the vehicle is an A4. As far as I know, A4 is the latest version that will work with my 2013. If that's incorrect, I suppose I could seek out a newer version. I've already got a replacement A4 on its way to me, since it cost me a scant $12 from eBay.

I'm fairly sure at this point that I do have a hardware issue. I suppose I can expect such things, since I bought the Explorer used. I don't believe my dealership (an actual Ford dealership, not a generic used car lot) will do anything for me at this point.

If the "new" A4 SD card doesn't help, I'm going to be experimenting with removing the 8" MFT/Nav to see where I end up.

You should be able to use A7 no problem with your system, Ark. As long as you're on the latest MFT version you should be golden.

You should be able to use A7 no problem with your system, Ark. As long as you're on the latest MFT version you should be golden.
I hope I'm wrong but I think his issues go much deeper than that.

Peter

Yeah, I am thinking either APIM or GPSM failure, which I will not be paying to fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The latest version for all vehicles with MyFord Touch is A7. You might be able to find it somewhere else, but this is the official site to check for updates: ford.navigation.com/home/en_US/FordNA/USD

If there is an issue with the APIM, it might be covered under the extended warranty for your system. Shoot me a PM with the VIN. I'll check.

Shaay

Back