A Pillar Passenger Grab Handle options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Pillar Passenger Grab Handle options?

barkingspud

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Burbs, Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on where I could find or adapt a grab handle for the front passenger side A-Pillar? Have an elderly F.I.L. who needs this.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be concerned whether an added on handle would support any weight without pulling off the A-pillar trim. Suggest you see what is behind the trim.

Has anyone installed a 2014-2015 A pillar grab bar on passenger side of 2023 Explorer Timberline? Also need to install running boards.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing that you have a 2023 Timberline. Your profile shows a 2014 XLT.
This site seems to show a right and left handle for a Timberline. Note that this is for a 2021 but I'm guessing they are all the same. The 2021 has the most parts listed.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing that you have a 2023 Timberline. Your profile shows a 2014 XLT.
This site seems to show a right and left handle for a Timberline. Note that this is for a 2021 but I'm guessing they are all the same. The 2021 has the most parts listed.

Peter
Yes, I have a 2014 xlt Explorer (my fourth explorer). Will check out the 2021, want to buy a 2023 Timberline, need the grab bar for my wife on the pillar not hanging from above the door. My dealership is not coming up with any ideas. Appreciate all the help.

Yes, I have a 2014 xlt Explorer (my fourth explorer). Will check out the 2021, want to buy a 2023 Timberline, need the grab bar for my wife on the pillar not hanging from above the door. My dealership is not coming up with any ideas. Appreciate all the help.
When we got our 2021 Explorer XLT the dealer was unaware of any running boards available since the Ford catalog didn't list anything. We got this from Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B082XQB2YKand it fit perfectly and looks OEM.

When we got our 2021 Explorer XLT the dealer was unaware of any running boards available since the Ford catalog didn't list anything. We got this from Amazon:
I've seen others post about those. All seemed pretty happy with them.

Thank you. This was the same running boards I was going to buy for the Timberline. But giving up hope to find a grab bar for the A pillar. Starting to look around, hate to not buy a Ford, especially since the past 4 explorers have treated me well.

Thank you. This was the same running boards I was going to buy for the Timberline. But giving up hope to find a grab bar for the A pillar. Starting to look around, hate to not buy a Ford, especially since the past 4 explorers have treated me well.
While there isn't an A-pillar handle, there is one over the door on ours and I assume the Timberline. Maybe not as obvious, but usable. My wife needs that and the running boards to be able to step up into the Explorer. The Gen 3 Explorers had the handle on the pillar...some didn't like it...so maybe you could find one in a junkyard in the right color that could be used.

While there isn't an A-pillar handle, there is one over the door on ours and I assume the Timberline. Maybe not as obvious, but usable. My wife needs that and the running boards to be able to step up into the Explorer. The Gen 3 Explorers had the handle on the pillar...some didn't like it...so maybe you could find one in a junkyard in the right color that could be used.
Thank you. I looked at buying the complete 2015 grab bar assembly, one of the problems there is an airbag squeezed in the a pillar. I think i need to spend the $70 for the bar and bracket and ask my dealership to pop off the trim and see if there is a way.

Has anyone installed a 2014-2015 A pillar grab bar on passenger side of 2023 Explorer Timberline? Also need to install running boards.
I have installed running boards and they look good and really help my wife who was having a hard time getting in. I would love to install a pillar grab handle if possible. If anyone knows if one will fit, please let us know.

@barkingspud

I understand where you are coming from - my father has issues getting up and into my 2nd Gen.

Perhaps adapt this?

Hooke Road Windshield Pillar Grab Handle for 2007-2018 Jeep JK Wranger Unlimited 4-Door (Black, Pack of 2)

$11.99 for (2) @ Amazon.

Remove your A-Pillar trim, "Dremel" two slots through the plastic A-Pillar trim.

Drill two holes in the A-Pillar, use two self-tap hi-grade bolts, pass them thru a BIG/THICK flat washer to spread out the load, then through the grommeted handle, and into the A-Pillar.

Regardless - when you click on the Amazon link below, you will see many more options - I think something will work out for you!

Report back as to what you decide upon, and if possible, take pics of the final result!

AMAZON Link: Amazon.com: Hooke Road Windshield Pillar Grab Handle for 2007-2018 Jeep JK Wranger Unlimited 4-Door (Black,Pack of 2): Home Improvement

416nd2SRIRL._AC_.jpg

61Tru27y%2BoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have installed running boards and they look good and really help my wife who was having a hard time getting in. I would love to install a pillar grab handle if possible. If anyone knows if one will fit, please let us know.
Welcome to the Forum Reggie. :wave:
Your post has been moved to this thread. Perhaps it may help.

Peter

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on where I could find or adapt a grab handle for the front passenger side A-Pillar? Have an elderly F.I.L. who needs this.

Thanks!

Just load him in the back 🤷‍♂️

Back