A Question About Tires...

wharriso

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Limited
At 33,000 miles, I had to replace my tires. I went to the Goodyear store and the guy started going through the list of tires when I recognized Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, which I had on a previous SUV so I requested them. Now at 75,000 miles, my front tires seem to have some dry rot and are looking pretty worn (I should have rotated them) and it is time to replace at least the fronts. But looking online, it appears that the Bridgestore Dueler H/L tires are coming back as "not compatible" with my car! Have I been driving with the wrong tires all this time? Does anyone know what difference it makes? Should I be looking for something other than P255/50R20 in these tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bridgestone website does not show a 255/50/20

But they do show a 255/55/20

If your Goodyear store did not suggest this as an option,

Find a different tire shop...........

Bridgestone website does not show a 255/50/20

But they do show a 255/55/20

If your Goodyear store did not suggest this as an option,

Find a different tire shop...........
My bad, I found it on the Firestone website, compatible with my Explorer.

My bad, I found it on the Firestone website, compatible with my Explorer.
I don't think that changing just the fronts on an AWD vehicle is the best solution. How many miles on the rears? The issue is the difference in the diameter of the new vs old tires.

Peter

I don't think that changing just the fronts on an AWD vehicle is the best solution. How many miles on the rears? The issue is the difference in the diameter of the new vs old tires.

Peter
I hear you but the front tires are 6/32 tread with dry rot while the rear tires are 8/32 tread with no dry rot. Tires have about 43k miles on them.

If they are the same age, make, and model, they probably all have similar dry rot but you don't see it as much in the rear because less weight flexes the sidewall less.

I would either rotate the tires front to rear, or get all 4 new tires, depending on how bad the rot is. If I understand your post correctly that your first replacement set was the Dueler H/L tires, yet this 2nd set of tires is already dry rotted on a '16 vehicle, I certainly would not want to get the same tires again, that dry rot so quickly unless you have a particularly difficult environment like having to park with them exposed to direct sun (UV) all day.

Back