A4LD auto trans, servo replacement ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD auto trans, servo replacement ?

stclist112

Thanks Brooklynbay, I'll let you know after a few days of driving if she's shifting ok.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stclist112

When I refill my 15 year old ford A4LD automatic trans, should I use a half qt of Lucus trans fix, the thick stuff that comes in the white bottle.
Does anyone have any thought about this stuff?

Transmission problem maybe someone could help 94 4x4 explorer

I have a problem with my transmission but it's intermittent. My Truck has a problem shifting from 1-2. It only does it when the engine is cold and once the RPM shifts to 4Rpm it goes to second and then it does not do it again, until the car is unused for an hour or tow. it only does this in OD and in D, if I shift it to 2nd it shifts fine between 1st and second.

I have had this symptom for a while now. Sometimes it last for a couple of weeks. then goes away for months, now it's back. Transmission fluid is not leaking and the truck is very well maintained. has 144K miles. I can't imagine the tranny has to be rebuilt.

stclist112

Brooklynbay, I replaced the governor and the weight with the steel one.
I drove it last night and today it shifted fine, I don't want to talk to soon,
but thanks for your help!!
The weight did spin freely, however the middle pin that the spring sits on
seemed to be getting stuck a little not allowing the weight to sit on the shaft, that must have been it, and it had a few little grooves in it!

I have two questions:
1- I noticed the shaft that the governor bolts tomoves a little, if I grab the shaft and wiggle it , it will have some play, Is this normal?

2- when is a good shift point, I think I may need to adjust the modulator.
it will shift into 2nd at 7 mph and into 3rd at 27mph. is this ok?

stclist112

If I have the bands adjusted to tight, how would that affect the shifting?
would it shift early or late, if adjusted to tight.

stclist112

The problem I'm having with the band adjustment is that someone had changed the trans and the ID tag is hand made, I know its an A4LD because
it has the vac mod on it , and the filter, gasket and servo,s fit.
However, when I called the dealer to de-code the tag, He told me that the bottom number ( 4G05 ) on the tag says 4 for 1994 the G was for july and the 05 was the 5th day.
I asked him if the A4LD was made in 1994 , and he said that was the last year. so if it's a 94 then it has single wrap bands and the adjustment would be 2 turns out for the OD band, and on the 91 the OD band would be double wrap and would be adjusted 3 1/2 turns out.
So I am asumming that I have a 94 a4ld in my 91 2.3 ranger, so I have both int and OD bands adjusted to 2 turns out.
thats why I was wondering how I would know if the OD band was adjusted to tight so I did'nt cause any damage, now that I think I got it running now.
I hope its a 94 trans I guess the id tag is the only way of knowing?

stclist112

Does anyone know if there is another way of finding what year my Ford Ranger- A4LD automatic transmission is besides the ID tag, I really need to find out so I can adjust the bands correctly.
I have a 91 however I think someone had put a different year trans in, and if so the band adjustment would be different.
Does anyone know if there is a date stamped on the case. mine is a 2WD.

Well its been a week since I replaced the Governor and its been shifting fine, just had to tweek the modulator, and once it sliped going into 3rd when I hit the gas, I went back and anjusted the od band one turn in, and its been good since. thanks Brooklynbay!!!

I still can't find out what year the trans is, do you know if its stamped anywhere on the case, someone had replaced it and I can't make out the ID tag?

Back