A4LD - leaking and no more reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD - leaking and no more reverse

91Sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Brownsville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'68 U15
I've been having transmission problems for quite awhile now, but this afternoon I finally lost reverse for good, it wasn't even going into 1st or 2nd gear, and I dont have an overdrive if I CAN get it going to normal hwy driving speeds. I have a spare A4LD from a BroncoII that I traded for my D35 TTB. I know the guy pretty well and he said it ran when he pulled it out.... but I'm not positive and I'm really not wanting to tare into an A4LD. One of the transmission shops in Albany wouldn't even rebuild it for me since it was an A4LD! I have little to no money availible to spend on rebuilding the spare tranny so my question is, will this BroncoII A4LD bolt up to my 4L? Any ideas on what is going on inside my transmission? Its been slipping when I go up steep slopes, it slips when its cold in the morning... the list goes on and on and I really really wanna keep my Explorer since I've done all this hard work to the suspension and what not. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First as to what is wwrong with your A4LD now... is kinda difficult to guess, but it sounds like you lack adequate line pressure to properly engage things.... why? I dunno. As for the bronco II A4LD, as long as it is a later 2 solenoid model it should bolt up and wire up fine... then all we gotta do is get you time and money to rebuild the one you took out so you have a decent tranny in there.

How many miles on your rig ?

over 230,000... :D

You CAN rebuild the old one....but if I was you I'd swap for the Bronco II (under the requirements it is a 2 solenoid model) and hunt around for a 94 A4LD....you CAN rebuild one. Time and a few bux are what you need.

I've read your rebuild thread a few times and I honestly can't imagine myself doing it... I've removed a manual tranny from an '84 Toyota before and it was quite simple since I didn't have to remove the y-flange and it only weighed 80 lbs if that. IF I do swap in the BroncoII tranny, is there any other automatic transmission I can swap in besides an A4LD? C4, C5, AOD? I know you can turn the A4LD into a reliable tranny, but it takes time and money... I appreciate your fast replys Glacier, and you do great tech write-ups as well. How can I tell if the A4LD I have is the 2 solenoid model? I have it sitting on my front porch :D

Back