• Register Today It's free!

A4LD problems

andymorgan21

Reaction score
City, State
Kelso, Wa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
This last weekend while driving my 91 exlplorer it started leaking tranny fluid. I pulled over and noticed there was fluid on the cross member and around the front of the transmission. I had no tranny fluid to add and no cell phone service. So i drove it as easy as i could (10-15mph) till i was off the mountain and got some tranny fluid and took it to my brothers house. We filled w/ fluid and took it out. It would only manually shift from 1st to 2nd but in D and OD it felt like it was slipping and then when the speed was slow enough it would go into 1st. It would not leak anymore, so i changed the filter and fluid, but still no luck. 1st, 2nd, and reverse seem to work fine. The old fluid was a dark red and smelt a little burnt. After new fluid and filter i test drove it and still would not shift but started to smell hot. I was told the burning smell could be from putting it into drive and the tranny trying to go into 1st. The test drive was only a 1/2 mile or so. Also on the back of the gas pedal the cable to the kick down had a spring on it but it had an inch of slack in it. Is there supposed to be a spacer? It functions with a home-made spacer so i dont think the cable is broke. It still doesnt shift in D or OD, Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The odds on bet is that you have blown a front seal. Overheating the tranny can cause the fluid to flow out the overfill vent tube, and it daylights in the same area... but from your description it sure sounds like a front pump seal.

Clean it up real good, add some fluid and watch where the leak is coming from.

Bad news is the front pump seal is a pull the tranny repair. IF that is what it is.

Welcome to this forum! Don't put any home made spacers in that area. It is normal to have a little slack. Take the spacer out, and adjust the kickdown cable. Check the modulator to see if there is any ATF in the vacuum line.

Well about the leak it doesnt seem to be leaking anymore. It only leaked that one time and it was leaving a trail as i drove.
Where do I adjust the kick down cable i must have overlooked it and does it have much adjustment. I would say it had an 1" to maybe even an 1 1/2". I will check the modulator as soon as i can.

The kick down cable has a part under the hood which you squeeze, and pull. You then go into the vehicle, and step on the throttle pedal. You will hear it click. Step down all of the way. It will leave a little slack on the linkage which is normal.

Back