wood1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North of Edmonton
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
Hey guys,

I have a basicly stock '94 XLT 4dr, 295,000 kms on the origional A4LD trans and engine. I did a fluid change and filter this past summer and all was well.

This past Friday I discovered that the torque converter clutch wasn't locking.

I figured that I'd look into it in a couple days after I had a chance to re-read some threads.

Late Friday night things took a turn for the worse. On the way home from work my trans wouldn't shift out of 1st. I had the selector in drive ( D ) not OD. I let it rev a bit and let off the gas but it still wouldn't shift out of 1st until I selected 2nd with the gearshift lever. I live close to work so 2-3 minutes later I was pulling into my driveway wondering if this was IT.

The fluid is nice and red, not burnt and the level is good. I pulled some fluid out through the dipstick tube with a suction gun and ran it through a coffee filter. There was no signs of any metal in the fluid.

I have done a few searches but everthing I read points to two probable seperate issues. Governor or modulator for the shifting issue, and a TCC solenoid electrical or mechanical failure (plugged screen).

I checked the modulator vacuum line and there isn't any fluid in it, also the fluid level in the trans is good so I have my doubts that it is the modulator.

I took it out for a drive today and at first the trans wouldn't shift out of 1st, but after a couple seconds everything went back to normal (except the TCC), trans shifting perfect. I have engine braking when I select 1st and 2nd and shifts seem normal.

Any suggestions on what to do now? I will be pulling the TCC solenoid out to check it within a couple days so I'll have the pan off anyway.

I have been expecting a rebuild but I'm hoping it's not time just yet...

Thanks,
Chris.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow this was a while back...
Update:
I decided to rebuild the Valve Body, while in there I replaced the OD solenoid but I don't remember if that was the problem. Anyway, it was plugged with silvery crap. I decided to install an external filter set-up due to all that silver crap (from the torque converter I was told). I put it all back together and the shifting issue was still there although everything else worked much better.

So, I replaced the governor valve, stalk, weight (with a heavier one) and installed a little weight return spring that came with one of the shift kits I bought (Glacier's rebuild thread). The governor was the no shift problem, it wasn't that hard to replace. All you do is to remove the transfer case and reach in the transmission with a quarter drive ratchet, remove the governor and replace. Glacier believes that it is not worth polishing and reinstalling the stalk etc, I have to agree. For the cost, just buy new parts. The first time I polished the stalk, put it all back together and it still didn't work. I had to buy a new stalk and go back in... all was good with the new parts.

A couple years later I had to replace the vacuum modulator due to disappearing transmission fluid (getting sucked into the intake through the vacuum line). Took about an hour through the floor inside of the ex.

A few months ago the front seal puked all the fluid out. The antifreeze got a little low (likely a lower intake gasket) and things got a bit hot. Rather than replacing the front seal/bellhousing/torque converter I decided to top everything up and haven't had a problem since. Brooklyn Bay helped me out with getting all the front pump tools etc I will need when the time comes for that.

I spent a lot of time reading in the transmission forum, bought my own Ford A4LD manual and the ATSG manuals. That, Glacier's rebuild thread, and BB's help gave me what I needed to fix my own problems. You can too.;)

Hey BB, merry Christmas to you and the fam... that's a good source for parts, first time I have seen it.

Pretty sure I went to the dealer for the gov parts and got my part numbers from the green "Update" ATSG book, fig.113. That was a while back so I can't say for sure, memory fails me.

In the TransGo shift kit manual, they suggest "A new governor housing helps prevent stuck governor." and list the following two p/n#
E5ZZ-7C063-A Large land .575
E89Z-7C063-A Large land .602

Glacier said the weight wares the stalk out of round which explains my problem not being fixed the first time.

The beast is still running strong, no problems since it puked it's fluid out on the road. Thanks again for all your help.

Sorry, missed the modulator question. It is an adjustable but it had a sticker on it to keep it from turning so I left it as is. Worked fine. I ordered it back when I rebuilt the VB and threw it in my tool box fully expecting to use it within a couple years.

Still running strong. I have to replace the selector shaft seal but other than that the trans works fine.

Back