• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Shift to 3rd to early

ford4wd08

Reaction score
City, State
Alcoa, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 Ford Bronco II
Hi all, not an explorer issue, but explorer's dad lol.

I've got an 85 Bronco 2 with a A4LD I recently had rebuilt. The shop had lot of rounds with valve body rebuilds being good and took them 4 different tires to find one that would work.

Anyhow, that was 6,000 miles ago and the transmission has been doing pretty good expect I kept having a chuggling/shudder issue from the TCC.

This is a 2 wire valve body. One solenoid for the TCC. I have that disconnected for the moment since I have removed the computer from my 2.8 by carbed engine. I have a switch wired up for it if I need it.

Fast forward to this weekend, I pulled the valve body and put the Transgo jr kit in it. Great instructions and everything went well.

After driving it afterwards, I'm having one issue, it now shifts to 3rd gear to quick and will lug the engine instead of down shifting. I believe there were two springs that were replaced in that bore. I would like to avoid pulling the valve body again.... but I will if I have too.

Could this be a modulator adjustment? I think I'm going to replace my current one with a good adjustable one.

Sorry for the long post!

Emailed with transgo support. Very knowledgable folks!

Actually it sounds like that is the TCC lock up occurring early because my solenoid is having leak by instead of sealing it off.

Ordered a new old stock 2 hole solenoid from ebay for 40 bucks!

I also ordered a new modulator with the adjustable wheel. That should help too!

Back