A4LD Shift Problem

1993Saturn

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4
93, 99 Bauer 4x4
I have a problem with my '92 A4LD, which got really bad after pulling a mountain pass. When cold, it won't shift into 2nd. I have to start by manually shifting into 1st, then manual 2nd. Once warm, Drive and OD will work and shifting is at 20, 35ish, 45ish. When starting out from a stop after warm up, it starts out in 2nd, not 1st. Then, intermittently, backing off the gas is required to get the 2-3 shift.

It sounds like it could be a sticky governor, its the easiest thing to check, just remove the drive shaft and extension housing. If its a 4x4 then the transfer case will have to come off. If the governor is ok the problem will be in the valve body.

Prior to the current trans behavior, I had removed the governor and polished it with 1000 emery paper. I didn't smoothe it out completely. How do you actually check the governor to know if it is bad?
Since the date stamp on the case is 08/91, I'm assuming it is a 92 tranny. So, I had previously adjusted the overdrive band to 3.5 turns and the intermediate band to 2.0 turns.

Back