A4LD Surprizes | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Surprizes

Curious on a couple of items. Did your low reverse servo piston seal have a double lip O ring, did you leave the piston spring and did you see any difference in reverse when it did work? The old seal can get pretty loose and leak. Often you can feel it bounce around in the cyl.

In the tail end of the transmission is a weight valve that allows shift from first to second. This guarantees the shaft is at a certain speed before the shift is allowed. These are known to stick, removal and polishing of the valve is all that is needed to fix. This may be the 1 to 2 problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your get back. Another VB would elemimate the possibility that I over looked something in the original rebuild.

The VB shift kit instructions said, after replacing the spring, leave the clip off the reverse piston shaft. Should I leave this clip off? Seems to me if I were to do this the shaft would not stay in place. Any input on this would enlighten my limited knowledge.
Thanks for your welcomed response.

Reverse Piston

Opera House, In the Transgo Shift Kit, it was stated to replace the reverse piston servo spring, inwhich I did. Also there was 2 seals in the bag, but they would not fit the servo piston. The servo piston had 2 seals that were different sizes, the kit had 2 seals that were the same size. I did not remove the old seals from the reverse servo piston. My concern is this, this instructions showed a picture of the servo piston, with the replaced spring, and stated "without ring clip. Did this indicate the clip should have been left off? Seems to me if the clip was not replaced, then the shaft would not stay in place. Any expert knowledge on this matter would help me with this issue.
Thanks
PS: Maybe I'm just not understanding what I am reading.

BrooklynBay, the Transgo instructions said to remove the clip and discard, then the pic, after the new spring was installed, stated piston wihout clip. Just seems strange that the indication was, the clip was no longer needed.
Thanks

I don't really remember the clip, but I see it in the manual. I can see no reason to remove it. New seals on the low/reverse piston is a must have for any A4LD. Are you sure they won't fit? Further diagnostics is not possible till these seals are replaced.

Opera House, The 2 seals in the kit are the same size, the reverse piston uses 2 different size seals. Looks as though, the 2 identical seals with the kit are for the direct clutch. However, I did replace clip, just didn't seem right to leave it off.
Thanks

Back