A4LD Tranny - '89 Bronco II

justdanorm

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'89 Bronco II
Hey guys. New to the forum.

Just picked up a '89 Bronco II mud truck a few weeks ago and picked it up cheap enough that I was able to blow the tranny the very next day :salute:

I've found an A4LD to replace it but am getting mixed info as far as fitment goes.

At first my understanding was that any A4LD from a 85-94 Bronco II would fit (mine has the auto now, and manual shift 4x4, tranny shifter is also on the floor not on the steering column)

But today I was told I have to find a '89 or '90 Bronco II for it to fit...

The tranny I found to replace it with, just states that its from a "1985-1994 ranger or bronco II , in good shape , clean oil."

Also, when I go to pick it up, what tell-tale clues can I look for to make sure its not trashed, if any.

I appreciate your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 4L trans has added material around the two bolt holes in the bell housing, not the top two, the next two down from the top. They are squared off and the bell housing for the 2.9 is just round around those two bolts. Also, there are two additional bolts from the engine to the trans right at the bottom of the bell housing in the 4L. Don't know if that reads very easily...

The main thing that seems to interfere with "plug and play" installation is that the oldest A4LD's ('85 to about '87) only have one solenoid to control the TCC lockup clutch. After that, they used two solenoids, one for the 3-4 shift control and one for TCC lockup control. If you get an older A4LD, you'll have to do a little wiring modification to allow you '89 PCM to control the TCC lockup and help it not get to upset that it has lost 3-4 shift control.

the 4L trans has added material around the two bolt holes in the bell housing, not the top two, the next two down from the top. They are squared off and the bell housing for the 2.9 is just round around those two bolts. Also, there are two additional bolts from the engine to the trans right at the bottom of the bell housing in the 4L. Don't know if that reads very easily...

Sort of, lol

So does that mean it doesn't fit but I could make it work?

Which are you referring to the old vs. new?

The main thing that seems to interfere with "plug and play" installation is that the oldest A4LD's ('85 to about '87) only have one solenoid to control the TCC lockup clutch. After that, they used two solenoids, one for the 3-4 shift control and one for TCC lockup control. If you get an older A4LD, you'll have to do a little wiring modification to allow you '89 PCM to control the TCC lockup and help it not get to upset that it has lost 3-4 shift control.

Would it still work 1-2 though?

I'm only using it as a mud toy so 3-4 isn't all that necessary. So if it would hook up and make the thing move, it'd be great :p

Also, what about the tranny from a 2 wheel drive bronco II? I was told they're all the same just have some false part?

1052810.jpg

1052811.jpg

1052812.jpg

1052813.jpg

Would it still work 1-2 though?
Putting an older, one solenoid A4LD in will work just fine 1-4. If you don't modify the TCC/3-4 shift connector, you will lose TCC lockup, but that's not important to you. The PCM will be somewhat irritated, but, as a mud truck, maybe you don't care if the PCM is irritated.

Because this is a mud truck and you aren't too worried about 4th gear (and the lockup), you might be better off putting a C3 transmission in. The A4LD is basically a C3 with overdrive added, so it seems to fit in just fine, but without all of the weaknesses that come with the stuff that makes an A4LD an A4LD. Just something to consider.

Also, what about the tranny from a 2 wheel drive bronco II? I was told they're all the same just have some false part?
From a BII, a "2wd tranny" will work fine, because the transmission is exactly the same. Ford put a "dummy" transfer case in so they wouldn't have to have separate 2wd and 4wd transmissions in a BII. Seems kind of silly, because they used 2wd transmissions in Rangers, but it does mean that any stock BII transmission will be a "4wd" transmission.

Putting an older, one solenoid A4LD in will work just fine 1-4. If you don't modify the TCC/3-4 shift connector, you will lose TCC lockup, but that's not important to you. The PCM will be somewhat irritated, but, as a mud truck, maybe you don't care if the PCM is irritated.

Because this is a mud truck and you aren't too worried about 4th gear (and the lockup), you might be better off putting a C3 transmission in. The A4LD is basically a C3 with overdrive added, so it seems to fit in just fine, but without all of the weaknesses that come with the stuff that makes an A4LD an A4LD. Just something to consider.

From a BII, a "2wd tranny" will work fine, because the transmission is exactly the same. Ford put a "dummy" transfer case in so they wouldn't have to have separate 2wd and 4wd transmissions in a BII. Seems kind of silly, because they used 2wd transmissions in Rangers, but it does mean that any stock BII transmission will be a "4wd" transmission.

TCC = torque converter clutch?

So what vehicles was the C3 in? And it'll bolt right up with no problems?

Thats what it was, the dummy transfer case.

I appreciate the help MrShorty!

EDIT: Basically what I'm looking for is the quickest, easiest, cheapest "plug & play" fix I can do to get the thing going for the end of may...

Back