ABS defeat switch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS defeat switch

On a 98, will this throw the CEL on and will I lose the speedo/odometer? Again, for a 98.
98~2001 Explorers take the raw VSS signal from the rear axle and do the speed correction in the 4WABS Module before sending the corrected VSS to the speedo and PCM. So, if you choose to power down the ABS Module by turning off the circuit from fuse #14, you will lose the speedometer/odometer. You might also get a CEL w/fault code P0500.

95~97 have a completely different VSS arrangement, independent of the 4WABS Module. For these years, the speedometer would continue to operate with 4WABS disabled.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, pull the fuse, no speedo/odometer and CEL and possibly weird shifting. I did mine differently. Just spliced into the ABS wire at the wheel. All you need is a switch spliced inline with one of the wires. No CEL, and still get my speedometer and odometer. I did it this way because I drive with the ABS off 99% of the time. Only turn it on in the snow or if I feel I need it. Took about 20 minutes to do and about $6 for a nice heavy duty switch to match my BWM switch.

Dan

You think you could post some pictures, maybe make a guide.. it would be quite useful for us 98+

I will definitely be doing this over break! I usually just pull the fuse in the winter.

Anyone know how to do this on a 98?

Yes, pull the fuse, no speedo/odometer and CEL and possibly weird shifting. I did mine differently. Just spliced into the ABS wire at the wheel. All you need is a switch spliced inline with one of the wires. No CEL, and still get my speedometer and odometer. I did it this way because I drive with the ABS off 99% of the time. Only turn it on in the snow or if I feel I need it. Took about 20 minutes to do and about $6 for a nice heavy duty switch to match my BWM switch.

Dan

what color is the wire and where did you splice it??

98~2001 Explorers take the raw VSS signal from the rear axle and do the speed correction in the 4WABS Module before sending the corrected VSS to the speedo and PCM. So, if you choose to power down the ABS Module by turning off the circuit from fuse #14, you will lose the speedometer/odometer. You might also get a CEL w/fault code P0500.

95~97 have a completely different VSS arrangement, independent of the 4WABS Module. For these years, the speedometer would continue to operate with 4WABS disabled.

Bob, do you know what is the deal with an 05 sport trac? Will I also get a CEL by disabling the ABS module, or is the sport trac setup like the older rangers and explorers?

Bob, do you know what is the deal with an 05 sport trac? Will I also get a CEL by disabling the ABS module, or is the sport trac setup like the older rangers and explorers?
You may be in luck on your Sport Trac. It looks like it has a dedicated ABS fuse (#35) that affects nothing else. The speed pulse comes from the OSS sensor on the transmission and is corrected in the PCM so the speedometer is independent of the ABS.

This is from the 04 schematic but the 05 should be the same.

You may be in luck on your Sport Trac. It looks like it has a dedicated ABS fuse (#35) that affects nothing else. The speed pulse comes from the OSS sensor on the transmission and is corrected in the PCM so the speedometer is independent of the ABS.

This is from the 04 schematic but the 05 should be the same.

Sweet! I kind of thought so because I can adjust the Revs per mile (tire size) with my xcal 2. ;)
Thanks

Been pulling the fuse when wheeling. The switch is just what I need.

Since I did the manual T-case conversion, I still have the 4x4 switch in the bezel. Can that be used for this? Its a 3 way switch, so I dunno.

No, it's a variable resistance switch. I've seen a diagram of it which lists the resistors in it, and had a couple apart.

Back