• Register Today It's free!

ABS Help!!!

porter72

Reaction score
City, State
Gardiner,Me
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Had my 04 Explorer diagnosed! Said it was the L/F ABS sensor. I replaced it and unhooked the battery for 15 min. Hooked the battery back up and light was still on. drove it and light went out but, came back on. Know when I turn car off and back on ABS light goes out and then returns. When I got the old ABS sensor out it had a little wear on the sensor side. Am I not getting the procedure right for reseting the ABS light?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No Code

I was just told that is what it was by the garage that diagnosed it. Before I replaced the sensor the ABS light was on all the time and the 4x4 light would flash 8 times. So replacing the sensor did something. Just not sure if I still have a problem or I am not reseting the ABS light right......Thanks for your help!!!!!

Still No Luck

When messing around with my sensor again last night I pulled a little piece of plastic out of the hole where the front sensor goes. My Explorer has 98,000 miles and I have never replaced the front hubs. Is there a little plastic ring inside the hub? I have some noise comming from the front when I am going down the road and a little vibration. I had my tires rotated and that did not help. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.... Thanks, Chris

i have a 04 and got the abs light that came on. Took a gamble and replaced the ABS sensor (30$ around) on the top of the rear differental and fixed it!

good luck.

also there is a sensor on the brake fluid resivoir that causes issues too.

I have replaced the rear abs sensor about 2 months ago. There is something else going on. Sure wish I could figure it out. I dont have a lot of money to take this thing to the dealership. I can do a lot of the work myself but just need to figure out the problem. There must be something other than sensors. The piece of plastic I pulled out of the hole where the abs sensor goes is bothering me. The grease in there smelled burnt also. I am wondering if the hub bearing is bad............

sounds like you do have a bad bearing. First, you can have them pull codes again to confirm its still the LF. You have a new sensor too, i doubt it would be the LF sensor again, unless it was somehow damaged during install (did that), or the bearing is bad.

One thing about the ABS sensor, the tone ring is in the bearing and its positioned over a plate with groves. It not a gear but more like a flat plate with groves and the sensor sits a fraction of an inch above it. If the bearings are shot then the clearance between the sensor and 'tone plate' may be off enough to prevent the sensor from seeing the groves. . just a guess.

Yup, I thought it might be that. I went and bought a new hub assembly this morning. Does anybody know exactly what size the nut is on the hub and what the tork setting is. I do not have a socket that big so I am going to need to purchase one. Thanks for the help.....Chris

Back