• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light On After Rain

Clutchless1995

Reaction score
City, State
Alexandria, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
1995 XLT, 130,000 miles and this has been happening for years and the Explorer is parked outside and not driven often. The ABS light will stay off for months, then after a rain that occurred while it was parked, when I start it up the ABS light comes on. It may go away after a restart, or it may go away the next day. I replaced the rear sensor which helped for several months. Last week I replaced the front hubs with integral sensors and no ABS light until last night when I went to drive it after a big rainstorm. The ABS light was back on. The ABS works fine when the light is off. Also the calipers, hoses and rotors were replaced last year and the system bled. Any suggestions? A bad connection somewhere that water can get to?

the abs relay under the hood. I pulled mine and lubed it with electrical grease. that stuff at the auto zone counter for 1.50. Dielectrical grease. for some reason moisture gets to these relays. my fuel pump relay kept tripping and i spent much money on several parts . wires, plugs, alot of expensive parts because the vehicle would not start halve the time and found out that putting dielectrical grease on the relay and terminals for a dollar fifty fixed everything.

Surprised this old thread notified me. I sold it to my mechanic for $350 in March 2013 after the steel brake lines and transmission lines rusted out in multiple places. He fixed it and gave it to his son.

Back