• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light :(

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
Hey, As you can see I'm new and looking for some help so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me whats going on. When I hit the gas past 3/8th on my 2003 XLS 4.0 with 50,000 miles from a stop or a slow roll(anything before 20ish) the ABS light comes on around 20 mph. But when I restart the car it goes back out. Any ideas on what this is? Thanks, Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! You have to find out what the code number is. Start with cleaning the ABS sensors since they usually cause the light to turn on when small metallic fragments get caught on them.

Thanks, where are they all located?

Sweet, Well as you may know, I live in jersey and it's been raining for the past forty day and nights. I just checked the float in the master cylinder and my connections on the two sensors on the mc, I also topped off my fluid because it was an 1/8th low. I'll check the sensors once it stops raining, if it ever stops:mad: Thanks

The sensor should be the cause, i replace mine and solve the problem, is a little tricky to get it but you'll eventually figure it out.

I had the same symptoms

The only way I could get the abs light to come on was to floor it.
If I shut off the truck, and turned it back on, the light would not come on.
Also my cruise control did not work when the abs light was lit (and sometimes when not lit)

My problem was that sensor on the master cylinder

I replaced it, its p/n is 3L3Z9F924AB for my 2004
description - switch asy
retail - $22.99

Its cheaper and easier to try this one first. I had it replaced in about 2 minutes.

Yeah that's what I think mine is, I cleaned all the front connections, topped it off, and made sure the float moved freely and it hasn't come on yet, So we'll see if my gremlin returns. Thanks again for all the help!

My problem was that sensor on the master cylinder

Its cheaper and easier to try this one first. I had it replaced in about 2 minutes.

x2, the other sensors will come on within a minute or two of starting the truck, master cyl. switch took its time and come on 30min later or for days.
Cheapest part too, most common failure.

I have the same exact symptoms--ABS Light only comes on during hard acceleration--I have changed the sensor on the master cylinder and the one on the rear differential (2 easiest and least expensive) and still comes on--Time to go get the code read--

glad to see another new jersey member on here. what part of this fine state do you live in?

The 07748 area, You?

Back