• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control/abs problems

doc100

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
I have a 2003 xls explorer with 63k miles. I am having a problem with my abs light and cruise control. The abs light comes on and stays on while driving about once every other day after about 10 min of driving. If I shut the vehicle off it will turn off and sometimes come back on again. Some days it is not a problem. However, the cruise control has stopped working. It has worked once or twice here and there over the past few weeks. I can not find any connection between the two. The horn still works on the wheel and abs seems to be functioning it is hit or miss as to when they will function. I am not sure what the problem is can anyone help point me in the right direction???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try replacing the brake switch located at the top of the master cylinder--its cheap--around twenty five bucks--easy do it yourself job. It worked for my 03 x

For the past few weeks the abs light has not gone on and the cruise control light will come on. However, half the time it stays on the other half it goes off right away...the bad news is that the cruise itself never engages. Could this be a vacuum problem? If so I do not own a repair manual, where is the cruise control unit located in the enginie bay? I have checked the hoses and there does not seem to be a vacuum leak that can be heard...help

Where is the brake switch located?

your cruise and abs may be related. on some vehicles, if the abs is disabled it will disable other features. my abs light was coming off and on over the winter and a new battery corrected it. not enough juice the computer starts disabling things. your cruise is electric, not vacuum. if the switch on your master cylinder is bad it will be seeping brake fluid from around the bottom where it attatches to the master. personally have only seen this on f series trucks and e series vans. if the abs light persists have the codes read. throwing parts at it will only empty your wallet. lots of times a vss or vehicle speed sensor will make your speedo also read funny, not just disable your abs. turning off your truck and turning it back on will always reset your abs light. that's what its supposed to do. read your owners manual on that. my advise. if you have a new battery get the abs codes pulled. the light will have to be on for the shop to pull current codes. if not they can only pull history codes. if you have an old or older battery go and get it tested first before doing anything else.

Back