ABS problem PLEASE Help

chad1f

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport trac
I have a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac 2wd.

I just got done replacing the front rotor/hub's and I am experiencing a problem with the ABS now. Every time I come to a stop at about 1mph the ABS kicks on and the brakes start pulsating. I took the ABS fuse out and it stopped doing that so I know its related to the ABS I just don't know what it is.

Please Help!!

Thanks,
Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I would suggest that you go back, and clean the area where the sensor is located. Some dirt, or grease build up is tripping the sensor. Do you have any lights coming on showing an ABS problem!

Brooklyn,

Thanks for your reply. I will check that and see they are dirty. I have read several threads and everything I read points me to the sensors in some way or another.

When I was out for my test drive the ABS light came on a few times but after I turned the car off and back on......the light would go off. The light is on all the time now....but I am pretty sure that is because I took the ABS fuse out and ABS is now disabled :D. Hopefully I will have some time in the next day or two......to take a look at those sensors......I will report back what I find.

Thanks

lol
i got a 95. had the same exact problem!
different options(trial and error):
1)Buy new back sensor - about $10.
2)Clean front sensors.
3)Get ABS codes pulled.
^^ My codes told me that the front left bearing was bad and that the right rear bearing and seal were bad.

Thats the best way to do it. Find a good auto shop that will run the codes for free, in hopes you will get it fixed there =D
the ford dealership charges about $85 bucks to run ABS codes! :eek:

and yes, i took the fuse out too...and thats why your light is on...
does your check engine light come on too?

-When I fix mine, i will post a how-to thread

My Ford explorer sport got same error: ABS light come on. I check front ABS sensor : ok 1.1 k ohm, and when you move magnet near by, you get 100mV AC. the rear they have only one mount on the rear hub : open.
I go to yunk yard vehicle, find out one. I will install today and let your guys know the result.

Done. Just change rear ABS sensor, ABS light now turn off. I do not know how much dealer charge for this sensor but yunk yard vehicle is free, 1 bucks for check in.

Back