Ac blow cold but compressor cycles everyfew seconds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ac blow cold but compressor cycles everyfew seconds

97EXP5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene,Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT AWD 5.0
the AC comressor on my 97 xlt 5.0 cycles every 5-10 seconds. my ac blows cold, but the compressor cycles like that even on the heat and defrost settings. I have tried a search and even spent an hour searching throught the posts here, and cant seem to find what's wrong seeing as the ac still works. It is just driving me nuts listening to the damn clicking! I am going to do the the comressor cut off switch mod, but I want to have it fixed properly too. Any help would be great.

thanks,
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, the gurus can correct me if I am wrong...my mechanic said that mine will do that as well when I asked him. Mine is really loud. Can't recall just why it does, but he said it was normal.

Anyone else have any input? I'd really like to know (and remember...dang Old Timers Disease! :p: ) why it does that...

Have you checked the pressures?

Yup... Stick a set of gauges on the pressure ports and find out what is going on in there. When the compressor cycles one of two things can happen -- either it builds up pressure to the high limit and cycles off or it cannot build pressure to the limit and cycles off. Either is not right.

Note that cold temps play a role in system pressures.

no, I have not checked the pressures as I dont have to guages to do so....I guess I will have to see if my buddy has some at his shop. Thanks for the input

Back