• Register Today It's free!

AC blower speed stuck on high

Exploder20001985

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 2wd 4.0l
Hello everyone please help ,my wife has a 2000 Ford Explorer 2 wheel drive 4 liter engine,forr a few weeks it will only blow on high speed, after a few weeks the AC completely went out then came back on momentarily, then went back off ,so I replaced the blower resistor, since then it blows only on high still and I have no control over the speed ,what do I do ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Manual or electronic (EATC) controls?

solution is here

To clarify, the electronic version of climate control (EATC) has push-buttons, not dials.
The manual version has a separate high speed relay for the blower, and if that relay misbehaves, it's possible to have the blower stuck on maximum speed.
The EATC version doesn't have a resistor for blower speed control. Though some may call it a resistor and the box looks similar, it's the blower motor speed controller. If the blower speed is not controllable, it's either the EATC itself, the controller, or less likely, the wiring between the two. If your vehicle also has a steering wheel blower speed control, there is a chance that there is a short to ground in the clock spring. To rule it out, check blower operation with the clock spring connector unplugged. According to the book, this is C220, located under the dash, to the right of the EATC unit. It has four wires, Red/Black, Light Brown/Red, Dark Green/Orange, and Yellow (the yellow wire is for speed control).

Just had the same thing happen to me last week. When I bought my truck 4 years ago only the two highest speeds worked and I just dealt with it. After 2 years of suffering with no AC I had the system checked and refilled and the air cranks again. Then after a few weeks it only works on high. I'll be doing this project this weekend, thank you.

I might have misunderstood the problem. So please be specific: does the blower work only when set at the highest speed, or runs at maximum speed, regardless of the setting?

Back