• Register Today It's free!

ac clcikly noise

deamon3

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
I'm not great with engines so I'll explain best I can.

The ac compressor has this little wheel in front of the pulley that constantly is engaging and disengaging every 5 seconds. Thus making a loud click each time. It's driving me insane.

My ac doesn't even work and isn't turned on so I pulled out the wire in the top of the compressor and it stopped. My question is , can the rest of the car run fine with that wire unplugged?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The car will run fine with that unplugged.

That wire activates the clutch on the compressor... which is what you are hearing. The clutch is engaging and disengaging. It typically means you are low on refrigerant, but if you don't use a/c than it doesn't matter. Unplugging it won't harm anything.

My ac doesn't even work and isn't turned on so I pulled out the wire in the top of the compressor and it stopped. My question is , can the rest of the car run fine with that wire unplugged?

If it was clicking and turning on/off the clutch then the a/c is on, or in your case, trying to be on.
If you don't have the a/c turned on from inside you have a short somewhere or a stuck relay. The short fix you already found, just unplug the wires on the top of the compressor.

~Mark

Ok another question. Is the stock belt the right length to avoid there compressor all together? It shows on the little diagram under my hood that it could be bypassed and am wondering if I can use the same belt and it'll keep tension.

You will have to buy a belt for a 4.0 ranger without a/c. I would just leave it on there unless you decicie to remove the a/c components from the truck.

not to thread jack but whenever i turn my heat on it makes that clicking noise, and my ac is ice cold when i use it but the idle changes when that clicks, is this normal or am i really low on refidgerant?

Do you have it on the defrost? The compressor will kick on at any temp setting if its set to defrost. Design theory is to blow dry air on wet glass to evaporate fog. A/C removes the humidity in the air as well as cool it.

Ok another question. Is the stock belt the right length to avoid there compressor all together? It shows on the little diagram under my hood that it could be bypassed and am wondering if I can use the same belt and it'll keep tension.

Yes you can as was said but you need to buy the none ac belt for the 4.0.
My nef had to do this as his ac compressor froze up and blew the clutch any way I had him replace the belt and it cleared no problem this also let him keep the compressor on and the A/C system closed up tell he can afford to fix it.

Back