AC gives cold air on Max but not on AC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC gives cold air on Max but not on AC

jjue

Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member
Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Nissan Titan CC LE
The other day on an hour long trip on the interstate, I noticed that I got plenty of cold air for me and my passengers when the AC was on Max, but nothing but hot air on the regular AC setting. Towards the end of the trip to the destination and on the way back, we would have to turn the air setting to 3, turn off the rear AC & set the heat mix setting to about 10 o'clock to be comfortable without completely freezing, and it was still 92-degrees outside.

So, I think that the blend door works, but is it possible that it isn't functioning properly. My refrigerant level is fine. The air should loose it's cool gradually to a less cool setting when changing from Max to AC, but the air turns hot almost immediately.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the blend door to me. I'm sorry.

Weird, But Maybe it's this...

Howdy,

Don't know if this will help, but when I bought my sploder a few months ago, the guy I bought it from said he had just had it in to the shop for the same problem.

He said that every year he has to take it in to a local shop and have them "unplug" the AC unit (or head) to reset it, and then it works fine. I thought he was confused- but apparently this does happen (per your post...) He said it took them like 10 minutes, and they charged him $10...

I don't know much more than that- if you don't get any more replies I will call the shop and see if they can tell me what they did (without charging me the $10:rolleyes: )

Good Luck!

Well, here's a new twist (literally) on my AC problem: On AC Max, I can turn the heat knob all the way to the heat setting, and the air will blow cold (around 40-degrees F.), even for 30 minutes or more. I have the manual AC system. Could this be that the cable either came undone or broke? I'm digging through my shop manual CD, but it's difficult to wade through. :(

jjue,

Your Explorer will not put out any heat in the "MAX" setting. This is normal.

The '95 and up have a heater coolant solenoid that is vacuum controlled. When you put your selector in MAX, it closes the solenoid which prevents the hot coolant from circulating through the A/C - Heater. The vacuum line that goes to it is about 1/8" in diameter. The solenoid is on the heater line down past the bottom of your overflow reservoir. It has the hose coming off of it which then goes into a rubber connector, more hose then to a 'T'. Disconnect the line down by the solenoid and stick a golf 'T' inside the rubber adapter and cover up the end of the hose going to the solenoid to prevent water/dirt from getting in to it. It is nice to be able to adjust the temp setting when using MAX and block off
the exhaust fumes from the car in front of you while still
getting heat.

Well, after using the diagnostic flowchart on my CD-ROM Manual, I guess that it is the blend door. Does anyone know how to replace the blend door? Does it require pulling the dash?

Pulling the dash? Yup, big time PITA. Grab some beer:cool: , plan on using a week-end up :(

Call Ford Customer Relations!!!!!

Everyone who has had this problem in the past or has this problem now needs to call Ford Customer Relationship Center ASAP at 1-800-392-3673, option 3 for Ford, 4 for Mercury. Have your VIN ready.

I just got off the phone with them, and they told me if we get enough complaints, a recall could be issued. The chances are probably slim, but if we band together and contact non-members who also have or had this problem, then we may get reimbursed. Hold on to repair receipts. If you are as mad as I am about this "known" problem, then you will help us all out. :frustrate Don't let them screw us for their mistake. :thumbdwn:

Back