• Register Today It's free!

Ac problem on 92 explorer

YoungMoney_Twitch

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ford Explorer xlt
I try starting the ac for the first time even added Freon and it screwed it out by the compressor when I tiled the can it turn on for a second or two then it shuts off im going to futher inspect the ac clutch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There’s no pressure on the system it might have a leak could the pulley leak somehow?

There’s no pressure on the system it might have a leak could the pulley leak somehow?
What do you mean it screwed out by the compressor? Sprayed out?
If you have an oreilly near you you can rent a vacuum pump and manifold guage with about a $300 refundable deposit and that will give you a better idea of what is going on with a little research. If you pull a -30 Hg vacuum for an hour you will boil off all the moisture. If it can't pull below a 0 vacuum you have a big leak. If it pulls a vacuum for an hour you close the manifold and it should hold the vacuum for 45 min without the needle moving. If it doesn't hold you have a small leak. You can do a
Proper recharge with these rentals a $7 can tap and $15-20 worth of refrigerant if you have a r134a system.
Of course if you see or hear freon spraying you have a big leak but you will still need these tools if you are gonna fix it yourself.
I believe harbor freight sells an affordable sniffer that detects refrigerant leaks that will tell you where it's coming from (seal or breakage).
Let me know if you have any questions.

I’m in the process just waiting it’s been over an hour 20 min now waiting for the needle to get to -30

I’m in the process just waiting it’s been over an hour 20 min now waiting for the needle to get to -30
You have the vacuum pump on there with both the low and high side open? It should not take but a couple minutes for it to reach -30 Hg. I think you have a leak. If you close the high and low side on the manifold gauge and turn the vacuum off I think you will lose vacuum pretty quickly. Did you inspect the gauge manifold to make sure all the green seals were in place in all three ports? When I rented mine I had to replace a couple of them because they were smashed. The fittings should just be finger tight.

You have the vacuum pump on there with both the low and high side open? It should not take but a couple minutes for it to reach -30 Hg. I think you have a leak. If you close the high and low side on the manifold gauge and turn the vacuum off I think you will lose vacuum pretty quickly. Did you inspect the gauge manifold to make sure all the green seals were in place in all three ports? When I rented mine I had to replace a couple of them because they were smashed. The fittings should just be finger tight.
Yea it when down to -20 after 2 hours then came back and checked it it only when down 0.02 so it was like -18 I added a small battle 12oz but no change I’m adding the other one right now. Would I loose Freon if I connect the vacuum again?. I connected the vacuum then turned it on it was like around 10 or so.

Should I add a 3 bottle I reconnected the pump after the first one. The temp agent down like 10 degrees

Sorry for the grammar & spelling so I tested the ac with the vacuum pump it went down to -20 for 2 hours then I turned off the pump came back after an hour checked it & it was down to -18 or-19 then open the vacuum again for another hour after that I added the first Freon in it then turned the vacuum on don’t know if that was a big no? After I added the second one it seemed that the temp had gone down 10degrees

Sorry for the grammar & spelling so I tested the ac with the vacuum pump it went down to -20 for 2 hours then I turned off the pump came back after an hour checked it & it was down to -18 or-19 then open the vacuum again for another hour after that I added the first Freon in it then turned the vacuum on don’t know if that was a big no? After I added the second one it seemed that the temp had gone down 10degrees
So if your system held the vacuum you could be okay. Maybe the gauge manifold is a little off.
When your system is vacuumed down you close the low and high side on the manifold.
Disconnect the vacuum from the yellow line.
Attach the freon tap and can to the yellow line. Tap the can and it should get cold then bleed air out of the line using the schrader valve in the middle of the manifold.
Start the vehicle turn a/c on.
Open low side on manifold gauge only to charge the system.
When you change the can make sure to close the low side so you don't lose refrigerant.

My 94 with factory r134a calls for 24 oz which is exactly 2 standard cans when I replaced the entire system that put me where I needed to be for my low and high side pressures.

If you put a vacuum on it after you put the refrigerant in you vacuumed it out. You can to vacuum the system again to start over or if you are sure you did not let any air into the system continue charging it and use the high and low side pressures for the ambient temperatures on the attached chart.

Attachments

• SBEAL.jpg
    SBEAL.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 69

Once you vacuum the system down and disconnect it you don't need the vacuum anymore.

So if your system held the vacuum you could be okay. Maybe the gauge manifold is a little off.
When your system is vacuumed down you close the low and high side on the manifold.
Disconnect the vacuum from the yellow line.
Attach the freon tap and can to the yellow line. Tap the can and it should get cold then bleed air out of the line using the schrader valve in the middle of the manifold.
Start the vehicle turn a/c on.
Open low side on manifold gauge only to charge the system.
When you change the can make sure to close the low side so you don't lose refrigerant.

My 94 with factory r134a calls for 24 oz which is exactly 2 standard cans when I replaced the entire system that put me where I needed to be for my low and high side pressures.

If you put a vacuum on it after you put the refrigerant in you vacuumed it out. You can to vacuum the system again to start over or if you are sure you did not let any air into the system continue charging it and use the high and low side pressures for the ambient temperatures on the attached chart.
This chart is going to help me when I add freon thanks bro I had a small leak in the hose it was actually tapped but was leaking

I like how ford have this easy to install couplings

I had checked all the fuses but didn’t cross my head that maybe That electric tape don’t belong in a hose

Took It to get it dirty last weekend and I want my ac to work this whole summer

Attachments

• 0E9805DB-2F02-4C45-88CA-5D17FB1E8DA5.jpeg
    0E9805DB-2F02-4C45-88CA-5D17FB1E8DA5.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 72

A good working AC in a 1st Gen is rare! I've owned 6 or 7 of them and I finally dove into my current truck installing a new evaporator, and having a shop tie up all the loose ends and charge it. It's almost surreal, with my tinited windows, I actually have to turn it down in this 95+ So Cal heat

This chart is going to help me when I add freon thanks bro I had a small leak in the hose it was actually tapped but was leaking
Nice man, unfortunately the system is under way too much pressure for tape to stop a leak. Rockauto sells new lines made by UAC that are easy to install and look great for around $50-$60 I used them on mine and I have no complaints. Glad to hear you found the problem!

Back