• Register Today It's free!

AC pulley not engaging?

Ryon40

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport 4x4
I thought my ac needed recharged because it wasnt blowing out any cold air at all so I bought some refidgarent and a guage to fill it up. I plugged the hose all up to the can and car, once the can was punctured the gauge ended up moving from 0 all the way around back to 0 yet went through the "danger" zone to get there.

So I took the hose off the car and went and turned on the air, the pulley is moving freely with the air on both on and off settings. I was told about a "clutch" not engaging in the pulley to turn the air on. My brother started his car up and turned the air on and you could here the air come on with his hood up you could also hear it turn off, mine doesnt do that there is no sound at all.

Anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks alot

there could be a couple causes to this. the high pressure switch could be cutting the comp. off because of too much freon, the low pressure switch could be cutting off the comp. due to lack of freon. the compressor may not be getting any signal. What type of gauge are you reading from, is it a high and low manifold gauge set, or just a gauge on a charge hose. First i would jump the low pressure switch, if you put a jumper between the terminals and the compressor comes on, there is not enough pressure in the system. you could also do this to the high side switch. if the compressor does come on with one of these methods, do not run it for long cause it can cause damage to the compressor. If you arent comfortable with this i would take it to a shop. run these tests and let us know

there could be a couple causes to this. the high pressure switch could be cutting the comp. off because of too much freon, the low pressure switch could be cutting off the comp. due to lack of freon. the compressor may not be getting any signal. What type of gauge are you reading from, is it a high and low manifold gauge set, or just a gauge on a charge hose. First i would jump the low pressure switch, if you put a jumper between the terminals and the compressor comes on, there is not enough pressure in the system. you could also do this to the high side switch. if the compressor does come on with one of these methods, do not run it for long cause it can cause damage to the compressor. If you arent comfortable with this i would take it to a shop. run these tests and let us know

I figured it out a couple days ago, the plug that plugs in to the ac pully had the wires ripped out somehow. After pulling out the plug and redoing the wiring it came right on.:salute:

Sweet. Glad you fixed it.

Back