• Register Today It's free!

AC Question

goalieman59

Reaction score
City, State
OFallon IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Can I replace the ac system, in my X with any other year that does not take the r12, and would this be a unbolt and reconnect everything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can do an R134 conversion without replacing all the components. Do you have any defective components (compressor, evaporator, .etc) in the current system?

I dont know if everything is working cause the air has not worked in at least 2 years, when you turn the air on i dont hear the ac compressor kick on. What would I have to replace to make the system take 134

I converted my 92 a couple of years ago because the compressor was bad. I replaced the compressor, accumlator/dryer, and orifice. You have to have the proper AC equipment to do this properly. Here's a good link on AC systems in general and R134 conversions. http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Your-Car's-Air-Conditioner

Do you have pictures of what I would have to replace to get the x running again, my wife is overheating every time she drive the beast.

You may not have to have any new parts. I just recently went through this same problem. I took mine to a buddy's shop where he has all the equipment to work on a/c systems. He simply pulled a vaccum on the system to remove the R12 then recharged the system with R134 and voila, COLD air. And just because your compressor dosen't click dosen't mean that it is bad. If the refrigerant level is low the compressor will not turn and will have to be jumped to get started.

Your best bet will be to take it to someone who has all the equipment to do the job properly.

Exactly what GA150 said in his/her very first post. Replacing or repairing the A/C system requires very specialized tools and equipment, this is one of those things best left to a professional.

how do I empty my lines so I can swap out my a/c compressor on my 1994 mazdz b4000le / thanks al

Just as GA150 said you have to pull a vaccum, that is how you remove the old refrigerant out of the lines. You could discharge it into the atmosphere, but that is illegal. So the best way is to let a pro do it for you. You can find a mechanic who does side work that will do it for you. That way you don't have to pay a "shop" and all the overcharges they will hit you with.

Back