AC unit not working, warranty being a B1TCH please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC unit not working, warranty being a B1TCH please help!

unpredictable1

Reaction score
City, State
AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 blazer lt
Guys I need help and I need it quick fomr someone who knows about AC units in 93 Explorers (i would assume they're the same from 91-94)

I would have to pay 1800-2000 bucks to get my AC fixed because here is what needs to be replaced. My warranty will only pay for a rebuilt compressor, which is about 400 bucks.

AC Compressor
Clutch
Hub
Seal
Accumulator

My warranty will only cover 60% of the labour charges and I can't justify spending all that money on her.

can anyone give me an idea on what to do? My AC unit doesn't blow any cold or cooler air at all.

who knows maybe i just might trade her in on an escape

Thanks,

Leo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 92 ex. fried the a/c compressor a couple years ago. I decided that I didnt use it enough to worry about it, so I had a sunroof installed! I use that all the time, and dont miss the A/C. If you must have the A/C, then it most likely needs recharged, but have the system checked for leaks. ALSO check the fuses!!

If I remember correctly, when you buy an A/C compressor from an regular auto parts store (autozone, checker, kragen etc).. that it is a complete unit..

compressor, cluctch,hub/seal...

The accumulator would definately be another part..

I would get a 2nd opinion as I've noticed many a/c places just replace parts until it is fixed instead of just fixing what it needs to be replaced..

You will find that many mechanics aren't mechanics.. they are parts swappers.. It is hard to find a decent mechanic nowadays..

~Mark

I agree with maniac mark. Get a few opinions first. Might also check into salvage yards, possibly get it cheaper. I guess I am pretty fortunate my AC is still kicking in my 92 sport. *knock on wood* Good luck.

I know out here everytime I've bought an AC compressor at the local parts counter it always came barebones and I had to swap the clutch, hub and pulley, I don't know what seal they are talking about because the new compressor should come with one and there are dozens of other seals in the system. This could be different depending on location.

Accumulators are usually pretty cheap from what I've found and there is little reason to have to get a used one or try to reuse the old one.

I'm with the crowd that thinks you should get a few more opinions, if it's still too high get another vehicle before this one really starts to nickel and dime you.

Do you know for sure that you need to replace all of those parts?? Does the Compressor run?? Is the A/C system pressurized? I would make sure all of that work is needed before tackling it...

all it does is blow hot air. thats it thats all i know.

i spoke to a few mechanics and they said that the AC compressor should have all the parts except for the Accumulator which is only a 100 bucks anyways.

I might say screw it all and trade her in

I've had her up for sale and have told the people outright that the AC dont work and the window needs replaced. then i was thinkin of keeping her.

what a see saw battle.

The recharge of the system using r-12 will cost you as much if not more (most likely more) than the cost of the compressor.

If you get it converted to r-134 now.. it will be about the same cost.. but refills later (if you ever need them) will be much cheaper than r-12.

~Mark

You may just be low on charge, caused by a slow leak over the years. This would cause the low pressure limit switch from allowing the compressor to kick in. If you are selling it, it may be better to let the next guy mess with it, since r-12 is like gold these days.

An easy way to check if you are just "low" on freon.. is to short out the low pressure switch..

When standing on the passenger side of the front end of you truck.. where the ac accumulator and other parts are is a switch with a 2 wire plug on it..

Take off the plug.. short the plug and then try the a/c..

The a/c compressor should stay running.. If it doesn't.. you are more than just low on freon..

If it stays on.. you should get "cool".. but not cold air if you still have some freon left.. The other way to check if you have enough freon when you do this (without guages) is to grab the 2 metal lines on each side of the accumulator.. If there is a big difference in termperature then you have enough freon and the problem is in the air handling system. If the temp of them is the same.. you are either low on freon or are not pumping it (e.g. a full charge but a blown compressor).

I hope this helps some..

~Mark

i was originally told last year when it never worked (since winter was approaching i never got it fixed) that it was just some pump that wasn't working....

the ford dealership here just seems to wanna go mad and replace everything. wher ei've spoke to a couple of mechanics and they gave me the real deal based on not even looking at her.

Back