Adding factory Nav | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding factory Nav

Well they had to send the unit out they said something about reprogramming it. So now I have no radio just a great big hole in the dash till it gets back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How'd it go? Does it all work now? Did they have to change the buttons or rewire?

I have my unit mostly working now, but my steering wheel buttons produce no response - just like you said. I have the phone/OK bottom button that is supposed to be correct, I believe for '09 also, but have been told it needs to be wired directly to the Nav unit, not the APIM (Sync) as it is on an '08. Phone works thru Nav/radio OK, though.

Still need an '09 Nav/Sirius antenna for mine. I now get Sirius, but no GPS signal. I added the signal "splitter" for an '09, but think the antenna only tuned for Sirius ...

Anyone know where to get one reasonably priced?

I still have a giant hole in my dash they have not gotten it back yet as soon as they do I will post up.

R/H steering wheel control pad

I have added a 2008 factory NAV to my late 2008 Explorer. Does anyone know what it takes to wire up the R/H steering wheel assembly? Is it a complete assembly or do you just need to change/add a couple buttons if the Phone and Voice buttons are missing? What about adding a microphone? The NAV came out of a late 2008 Expedition with voice and rear DVD and seems to work well without needing to be reprogrammed. I do get codes for the missing Voice button though. What about adding Sync after I get the voice commands working?

Well the unit works but I still think something is wrong anyone with the nav and sync please chime in. When I push the voice button it always goes to menu even if I'm in audio. I have to push the voice button twice to skip the main menu then say what I want is this how it works. Also when I am on the phone and the call is over if I push the phone button on the wheel it puts up a send or end on the nav screen but does not hang up. No matter how many times I push the button it automatically hits send not end.

Well the unit works but I still think something is wrong anyone with the nav and sync please chime in. When I push the voice button it always goes to menu even if I'm in audio. I have to push the voice button twice to skip the main menu then say what I want is this how it works. Also when I am on the phone and the call is over if I push the phone button on the wheel it puts up a send or end on the nav screen but does not hang up. No matter how many times I push the button it automatically hits send not end.

I can confirm the second part is correct, you have to either hit end on your phone or end on the "Phone" screen.

Thanks for the reply, that is stupid hands free should mean hands free.

There are a couple different types of R/H steering wheel button assemblies for the Sport Trac. The one with only voice (non-sync) is 8L2Z-9C888-BA, the one with only the phone button along the bottom is 8L2Z-9C888-AB. Does anyone know what part the one with both phone and the OK button is? Is it 8L2Z-9C888-BB or -AA?

I checked my R/H steering wheel connector and I have 7 wires connected to it. When adding one of these switches, is there anything else that needs to be done in order to get the Navigation unit to see the button presses? My ST is a late 2008 model without sync, but I am planning to retrofit sync. I have bought the correct navigation unit, however when accessing the diagnostics menu (pressing button 3+6 simultaneously) I still get an error for steering wheel button 2, which I believe is the voice button. What else needs to be done to get the R/H steering wheel asembly to work when it appears that all of the wiring is in place. The Phone button doesn't work yet either.

Maybe this is the problem I am having. The dealer had a stereo shop install my ford nav system. However I have a error message displayed upon start up of the map it tells me there is a problem and to take it back to the dealer. My voice and phone buttons don't work is this because the dealer did not program the unit. Everything else works the only problem is the two buttons on the steering wheel I have to manually dial using the nav screen. I figured the stereo shop did not hook up the buttons or something like that. If this is a easy fix I will tell the dealer what to do.
I have retrofit a 2008 Nav unit to replace my 6CD audiophile unit and replaced the R/H steering wheel button assembly with the correct part (single phone button along bottom). However, my voice and phone buttons do not work yet. Did you get your Voice and Phone buttons working? If so, what was done to get them to work?

The dealer did it and from what I could tell it was a pita I believe the unit has to be reprogrammed or something to that nature.

Could you bring up your Navigation Diagnostics and let me know what you have set for the SWC settings?

I am planning a couple upgrades to enable voice and potentially a SYNC retrofit. First I want to get the voice to work. I have installed a 6 button RH SWC and need to know how to get the Voice button to work. I have two NAV DTCs one of which is Steering Wheel Switch 2 Failure and the other is Lost Comm RSEM (which is for Rear Entertainment/DVD which I do not have).

I have Configuration status that shows SWC POD Type [5 Position] and SWC 2 POD Type [5 position]. There is also a SWC configuration that shows [H/W]. I want to know if SWC 2 needs to be [6 position] in order for the Voice button to work? Voice Recognition does say [Enabled]. I assume systems with SYNC will show Phone Module [Available]. I will be adding a new mirror with microphone and backup camera from an F150.

Can someone with SYNC post their Navigation Configuration Settings, mine are below?

DSCF2635.jpg

DSCF2636.jpg

DSCF2637.jpg

DSCF2638.jpg

Markhas, when I was researching this mod for my STA one of the programmers told me that you not only have to add the new voice button to the R/H side of the steering wheel but there are also 2 wires that have to be run to enable the voice command for sync. If you search ebay he was the programmer from Texas, I can't remember his name.

Ok, yeah I know who he is. One other thing I was wondering if your RH SWC has the Ok and Phone button along the bottom row or just the Phone? I was told that the Navigation systems will only have the Phone.

I think I found my problem, the RH steering wheel switch connector has been rewired from early 2008 to late 2008/2009 (Sync). I assume that is when the Phone button was added to the switch instead of just the Voice. What happened is that the Voice VMN02 (White-Brown) wire got moved from pin 8 to pin 3, which was previously not used. Pin 2 was added (VT-OG) which is the Phone wire. Why the engineers found it necessary to move pin 8 to pin 3, I have no idea. The ACM side (Navigation Unit) remains the same at pin 17 of C290A.

I would still like to have someones Diagnostics Settings from a NAV/Sync system. BTW these can be retrieved from the NAV unit by holding buttons 3 and 6 simultaneously. Also please give me your Software Versions. My Unit is an 8L1T-18K931-CA, with Audio/System Software Version [6-6-20-2007] and Nav Soft Version [4.02]. I need to know if Sync requires a newer version.

DSCF3353.jpg

Any updates? I have a '08 Explorer LTD with Sync. Added the nav unit (from a 08 Edge, also has Sync). Everything works except the phone and voice buttons on my steering wheel. I have not replaced the buttons yet.

Is it as simple as replacing the buttons or is there more I need to do? Thanks in advance.

read my above post I believe the dealer has to reprogram it mine was sent out because the dealer couldn't figure out how to do it. The reason is they don't normally add the factory nav at the dealer it's done at the factory. Your best bet may be to take it to an audio store that does installations.

read my above post I believe the dealer has to reprogram it mine was sent out because the dealer couldn't figure out how to do it. The reason is they don't normally add the factory nav at the dealer it's done at the factory. Your best bet may be to take it to an audio store that does installations.
I was afraid that was the case :( I'm in Canada and haven't been able to find anyone who knows how to do that.

Markhas, if you know the wire values on the OEM backup camera can you pass those along as I am gonna do the same. Can you also get the Mirror values too?

Update... I replaced the buttons today and the voice and phone buttons still don't work. Definitely need to get the radio reprogrammed. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back