• Register Today It's free!

Adding Navigation Later

TxRanger351w

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Exp LTD FWD 3.5 NA
Adding Navigation if not factory equipped?

I purchased a 2011 XLT with MFT for my wife back in April. The vehicle didn't have navigation enabled from the factory, but the salesman said it could be added just by purchasing the card. The parts counter said that someone had attempted this, but it ended up not working. Now, we see that while it is possible to purchase the card, the system must be enabled from the factory to allow navigation to work. I've seen a couple posts where people had their system flashed (I guess a complete reinstall?) Is it possible during this flash to enable the navigation component of MFT?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a great question.
I would like to do the same.
They sell the ford SD Cards on Ebay.

Either missing the GPS hardware, or disabled in the OS.

The hardware is exactly the same. The problem is: Ford wants to prevent you from getting the Nav software aftermarket. Every SD card has a vin verification thingie. The only way to do it is to hack it. I do remember seeing somewhere online that someone's trying to get into it though and add Nav.

The hardware is exactly the same. The problem is: Ford wants to prevent you from getting the Nav software aftermarket. Every SD card has a vin verification thingie. The only way to do it is to hack it. I do remember seeing somewhere online that someone's trying to get into it though and add Nav.

not true, im using the SD card from my edge in the explorer and vice versa without any issues.

gill72

do you have factory navigation in you 2011 Explorer Limited? Are you saying that I can just purchase the SD card and it will work in my 2011 Explorer XLT with out the factory navigation? Thanks, Paul

gill72

do you have factory navigation in you 2011 Explorer Limited? Are you saying that I can just purchase the SD card and it will work in my 2011 Explorer XLT with out the factory navigation? Thanks, Paul

mine came with the navi.
i believe non navi cars have a different flash for the MFT, so no i dont think the SD card alone would do it in your case you'll have to pay the stealer a visit for the navi flash.

mine came with the navi.
i believe non navi cars have a different flash for the MFT, so no i dont think the SD card alone would do it in your case you'll have to pay the stealer a visit for the navi flash.

Even then the dealer probably doesn't have the software to unlocktht feature. I'm sure Ford put good safeguards against this. It will involve a good hacker to crack it.

Again - this thread centers around the possibility of adding navigation by purchasing the SD card and having the MFT flashed at the dealer for those of us who didn't get it upon delivery of the vehicle.

I don't see why Ford WOULDN'T allow this. Think about it - a customer comes back to the dealership and is willing to drop $700 for a memory card just to have integrated navigation? The hardware is in place, the software is essentially there, there's no engineering or real overhead. It's a pure profit center.

I'd call the factory (or whoever) direct if I had a number. This just makes no sense.

Ford is considering it in the future, but thecurrent priority is to get the MFT bugs all worked out.

indeed, I would pay as well.

it would not require much from the dealerships, and would be a high profit for them.

Same principle applies to high-end computer hardware, tape autoloaders and storage area networks. The features are there, but requires a license key to unlock, to use the full potential.

Again - this thread centers around the possibility of adding navigation by purchasing the SD card and having the MFT flashed at the dealer for those of us who didn't get it upon delivery of the vehicle.<clip>

I'd call the factory (or whoever) direct if I had a number. This just makes no sense.
The simple answer to your question, is "no". And it's not just a Ford thing where manufacturers limit the ability of the customer to select certain options after the fact. I know in some cases it requires different hardware, but in most cases it just seems stupid.

Here's my answer Less than $200 with tax locally. Comes with lifetime maps and traffic and I can program it on the fly. Yeah, I know it's not the in-dash item, but WTF - why would I want a GPS that required me to stop the car before I could change destinations, etc?

I'm also thinking about the Lockpick solution to accessing the display while moving. That way I could just plug my iPhone in and use the phone navigation, but even the nav on that is somewhat limited.

The factory OEM navigation system SUCKS! Buy a Garmin. 1,000% better.

I have a Garmin in my Toyota. I like it, I'd buy another.

The windshield visibility is slightly limited on the Explorer, I want to avoid cluttering it up with another item. Besides, the wife wants the in-dash navigation. I should have surprised her with the right vehicle, but alas we are not all perfect.

The factory OEM navigation system SUCKS! Buy a Garmin. 1,000% better.
I find inputting the destination to be clunky, especially using voice commands. However, once the destination is set, my navigation system works just as well as my Garmin Nuvi.

I purchased a 2011 XLT with MFT for my wife back in April. The vehicle didn't have navigation enabled from the factory, but the salesman said it could be added just by purchasing the card. The parts counter said that someone had attempted this, but it ended up not working. Now, we see that while it is possible to purchase the card, the system must be enabled from the factory to allow navigation to work. I've seen a couple posts where people had their system flashed (I guess a complete reinstall?) Is it possible during this flash to enable the navigation component of MFT?

SAVE YOUR MONEY The Nav system is really really bad. Invest in a Megellan, Garman or Tom Tom unit for your wife. More reliable and way eaiser to use. I just have about given up with MFT Nav System and I have to travel across county this summer and will rely on my old Megallan for guidence. This is really a disapointment and now I'm sorry I bought this vehicle as the entire MFT/Sync is a nightmare. Who would think with a $48,000.00 vehicle a $139.00 GPS unit would be supereior.

SAVE YOUR MONEY The Nav system is really really bad. Invest in a Megellan, Garman or Tom Tom unit for your wife. More reliable and way eaiser to use. I just have about given up with MFT Nav System and I have to travel across county this summer and will rely on my old Megallan for guidence. This is really a disapointment and now I'm sorry I bought this vehicle as the entire MFT/Sync is a nightmare. Who would think with a $48,000.00 vehicle a $139.00 GPS unit would be supereior.

See my previous post. This is for her, it's what she wants, it's what we'll get. I don't want to crowd the limited windshield with another gadget.

Does anyone know if you can add the navigation module after you purchase? I don't want to spend $800 on the current navigation system, but if it drastically improves in the next couple of years, I wouldn't mind adding it. Is it just buying the SD Card and having the module loaded in the computer?

Thanks

Does anyone know if you can add the navigation module after you purchase? I don't want to spend $800 on the current navigation system, but if it drastically improves in the next couple of years, I wouldn't mind adding it. Is it just buying the SD Card and having the module loaded in the computer?

Thanks

Don't quote me but I've read that all of the hardware is there regardless. They may have to plug the laptop in and enable the system like they can do with the DRL's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like all manufacurers, the NAV has to be installed during production. The SD card is only map info.
We had a customer (another car brand) make that mistake when ordering and we did install the system at his insistence: one week and a little over $7,000.
So get a Garmin if you can't afford the factory system.
It does work, albeit wth a few glitches, but there are some great features, and it all ties with the MFT. Don't get all freaked out by some of these posts. 99% of us love the system, and haven't had any problems. If you go to an Apple Store, there's a counter called the Genius Bar there to get problems with Apples fixed.
So does that mean there's some big quality issue with Apple?
No, and Ford will make good on the few units out there that are defective as well.

Back