Adding OEM fog lights to 16' / 17' PIU - assistance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding OEM fog lights to 16' / 17' PIU - assistance

Inane222

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford PIU Eco
Good morning all,

I'm in the process of adding OEM fog lights to my 17' PIU. I have the fog lights and the correct trim pieces. I have the front wheels off and inner fender / splash shields out. There are a few unused connectors hanging down on each side but some of them are for emergency equipment outfitting. If it's possible, I'd like to make the fog lights functional with the OEM headlight switch.

The used fog lights I have came with the halogen bulbs but no connectors. I was able to find the appropriate connectors at a junkyard so now I'm at least able to actually plug up to the bulbs.

Could someone out there with a 16' or 17' take a peek at their fog light bulbs and see where they plug up and where the harness leads to. There is a little access panel in your splash shield that allows you to get in their and change your bulbs. Real easy to pop out with a trim tool or flat screwdriver.

My vehicle might not be wired for it and my idea of using the stock light switch might be dead in the water. If that's the case, I'll have to add a relay and auxiliary switch. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am curious if i can make this work on my 14' as well. I have a kit from ebay with a switch/wiring kit. I am returning it though, the fog lights are junk and hold water inside.

I ended up buying two used OEM fog light housings (halogen). I also had to buy the appropriate trim bezels for my bumper cover to do away with the black plastic blanks. After that, I wired them up, hot with the ignition using one of the OEM outfitter feeds. Switch on the lower steering column cover. Replaced the halogen bulbs for some nice eBay LED bulbs. Looks much better when paired with the LED low beam.

Plan on doing a post on this mod when I get time.

Guys... I'm new on here. Just bought a 2016 PIU 3.5 Eco, been goin HAM on it the 2 weeks I've had it. Sync 1 radio w/manual climate been the most difficult radio I've ever dealt with! Anyway, I too want to tackle my fog light issue. Does your 16 have what look almost like a second set of headlights below the functional set? I don't know what is and isn't normal with these PIU's. Mine seems to still have most of the LEDs and wiring throughout the whole car. Long story short anyone tried repurposing the 👮‍♀️ lights to functional white 5k ish color? I think the spot on the bumper would be great looking and actually useful with the right diodes. I don't even know where to begin trying to figure out what is what and which wire does this, what switches, drivers, relays and such were removed, mainly how to get things working that could look cool and be useful. I bought this thing as a project and I gurantee when done there won't be anything like it! Everyone and anyone please let me know anything you have that would help me on this quest. I'm fine exchanging info/pm 's. Seems a touchy subject at times.
20210811_170017.jpg

If the above is a picture of your PIU then it looks like it already has fog lights (the large ones below the headlamps). At least the fixture is there.

Peter

I was told they are decommissioned LED flashers. No option for fog on my switch. Easy fix there obviously.

Good morning all,

I'm in the process of adding OEM fog lights to my 17' PIU. I have the fog lights and the correct trim pieces. I have the front wheels off and inner fender / splash shields out. There are a few unused connectors hanging down on each side but some of them are for emergency equipment outfitting. If it's possible, I'd like to make the fog lights functional with the OEM headlight switch.

The used fog lights I have came with the halogen bulbs but no connectors. I was able to find the appropriate connectors at a junkyard so now I'm at least able to actually plug up to the bulbs.

Could someone out there with a 16' or 17' take a peek at their fog light bulbs and see where they plug up and where the harness leads to. There is a little access panel in your splash shield that allows you to get in their and change your bulbs. Real easy to pop out with a trim tool or flat screwdriver.

My vehicle might not be wired for it and my idea of using the stock light switch might be dead in the water. If that's the case, I'll have to add a relay and auxiliary switch. Thanks!
OK I am in the middle of doing this right now.
I have the bumper off and the fixtures installed. They came with the halogen bulbs. There are two connectors that are taped and locked on to the main harness that need to be released. Those are for the fog lights. HOWEVER, you will have a female plugged into the male plug that goes to the harness. The female needs to have the correct pins and you can get the rest of the pigtail at your local auto parts store. If you look on line at FORD they charge $79.00. The auto parts store charges $13.00 plus the pins (https://www.autozone.com/collision-...VTT6tBh0XxAQDEAQYCiABEgLa5vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)
Guess which way I am going?
Bring the female side with you, along with a fog bulb, to the auto store and tell them you need the pins and a pigtail for the bulb.
When I called Ford out here they gave me the run around and said the vehicle needs to come in so we can see what you need. I said the front end was off they said we can't help you unless you bring it in (AND THEN WE CAN CHARGE YOU)!

1646502654187.png

Guys... I'm new on here. Just bought a 2016 PIU 3.5 Eco, been goin HAM on it the 2 weeks I've had it. Sync 1 radio w/manual climate been the most difficult radio I've ever dealt with! Anyway, I too want to tackle my fog light issue. Does your 16 have what look almost like a second set of headlights below the functional set? I don't know what is and isn't normal with these PIU's. Mine seems to still have most of the LEDs and wiring throughout the whole car. Long story short anyone tried repurposing the 👮‍♀️ lights to functional white 5k ish color? I think the spot on the bumper would be great looking and actually useful with the right diodes. I don't even know where to begin trying to figure out what is what and which wire does this, what switches, drivers, relays and such were removed, mainly how to get things working that could look cool and be useful. I bought this thing as a project and I gurantee when done there won't be anything like it! Everyone and anyone please let me know anything you have that would help me on this quest. I'm fine exchanging info/pm 's. Seems a touchy subject at times.View attachment 341695
Were you able to make the conversion to fog lights? I have a 2018 PIU that I’m about to remove the front bumper to fix a ambient temperature sensor issue and would like to make the switch at that time.

Michael

IMG_4364.png

Update to that original post!
Oops! I took apart a bunch of wiring to make everything look more professional.
I noticed I didn't reconnect two wires which turned out to be for those lights.
Now I have to figure out WHERE they go to - AGAIN! Ugg!

Back