adding remote start- only want one remote (what to use?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adding remote start- only want one remote (what to use?)

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
I am looking at adding a remote start to a 96 XLT with factory alarm and also to a 1998 with factory alarm... however I dont want 2 remotes on a keychain. Are there any type of remote starts out there that will work on one remote with the factory alarm? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could be wrong here, but I think they ALL replace the factory remote and work with the factory alarm.

I installed one on my '98. They make remote starters that are specifically made to work with your original remote. The trigger hooks into the door-locks and you can program it, for instance, to start if you hit unlock twice. Mine is a Bulldog, but I don't remember the model #. It works great.

A couple of tips, I know for sure that your 98 has the PATS key system, and the 96 may or may not. Make sure to get the transponder bypass kit to go along with the remote starter. If you do a search on here, you will find a LOT of info on that. Also, the GEM is programmed to not be able to unlock or lock the doors with the remote with the engine running. I also found a thread on here outlining how to install a relay that opens the signal circuit to the GEM when the remote starter is powered and essentially tricks the GEM into thinking the car isn't running. Then your remote will still work when the remote starter is running the car.

Sorry I don't have links to these threads, but if you do a search, I'm sure you will find a lot of information on all of this.

I've also got the Bulldog remote start and can unlock/lock the doors when the ignition is on or off. Installation was a pain and my module went bad but after I worked out the problems I'm very happy with it. Only cost me about $75 off of ebay and with the PATS key stuff from Bulldog.

You can get key blanks off eBay and have them cut and do the programming yourself so don't go to the dealer and get jacked for that.

Back