• Register Today It's free!

Adding Sirius

dwink

Reaction score
City, State
Reno
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey all!!

Well, we bought a 2006 EB on Monday, love the truck!!! Stone in color with the rear seat entertainment.

It is snowing like crazy here in Maine today, I am enjoying the 4X4 action. It does not seem to be significantly different in auto mode versus 4X4 High.

Anyway, I didn't realize that I don't have Sirius on the car until I got home, for some reason I thought it was installed.

Anyway, I searched around a bit but didn't see any answers here.

I am hoping to add the Sirius module to the truck, it would seem that this should be a simple operation but I can't figure it out.

1) Can I just call the dealer and ask them to install the option?

2) Since this is a Pioneer head unit, can I use one of their adapters that are
on their website?

3) I also found several Navi units available on ebay that include the Sirius
option, maybe I should just wait until I install that to add Sirius?

Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was gonna get the sirius pioneer module, but i ended up just getting a plug and play unit thinking it would be cheaper, which it was, but since my head unit was older it didnt have an auxillary jack so i spent alot more money on cables to get the plug and play hooked directly to the head unit. the pioneer module is very simple to hook up from what i researched, there is a power wire which plugs into the cig lighter, and the cable that runs from the module to the head unit, and then the antenna. only hard part would be finding a place to mount the module, they are not very big, under a seat or under the dash. i would go to crutchfield to get it, either call or use the online chat thing, tell them what head unit your have if its aftermarket, and they will tell u exactly waht you need, good luck

o and u wont regret getting sirius, i have loved it from day one, havent used the radio/cd player since i got it lol, its well worth the 13 bucks a month

Unless your HU is "SIRIUS or XM ready", you will either have to buy a HU that is or an external reciever. I have recently bought a Starmate 3 reciever and love it. It cost me $101 including tax at walmart and it came with everything I needed. I have researched some of the SIRIUS ready kits that are required to run a SIRIUS ready HU and they cost about $99. I placed mine using the window mount next to the "A" post on the drivers' side. I will post pics tomorrow. The install was very simple and I did it in about 20 minutes. I have done extensive research in the area before I bought mine so if you have any more questions, please post, email or PM me; i will get back to you as soon as I can...

ya he is right, do u have an aftermarket HU or a stock HU, do u know wether or not that it is "Sat. Radio Ready" (think thats what they say on the box) if u dont know then whats the model of HU you have?

ya he is right, do u have an aftermarket HU or a stock HU, do u know wether or not that it is "Sat. Radio Ready" (think thats what they say on the box) if u dont know then whats the model of HU you have?

Yes, it is the "audiophile" stock HU from the 2006 cars. Sirius can be added as a factory option to this HU, so I know it can happen. I just need to find out how difficult it is to order the parts from Ford.

I have the rear entertainment system, currently my starmate is running into that, sounds and works great, I was just looking for a factory clean install.

Thanks for the tips.

go to http://oem-auto-accessory.com/factory_satellite_radio.html

you will find the factory parts for a 2006-2007 there. Simple install. The sirius module goes behind the passenger kick panel.

BTW... I did go to that website, according to him, the audiophile head unit does not support Sirius.

This further fueled my purchase of a factory Nav unit (purchased today), which I think I can add the factory unit to.

I do have the starmate installed in the truck now, I swiped it from my wife's volvo.

I would prefer a factory interface over the starmate, however the starmate was about a 20 minute install (if that...)

BTW... I did go to that website, according to him, the audiophile head unit does not support Sirius.

This further fueled my purchase of a factory Nav unit (purchased today), which I think I can add the factory unit to.

I do have the starmate installed in the truck now, I swiped it from my wife's volvo.

I would prefer a factory interface over the starmate, however the starmate was about a 20 minute install (if that...)

I don't use my factory Sirius (but its still installed) because I swaped out my Audiophile stereo. My Audiophile had 3 wiring harnesses attached to it, the main (big) harness, and 2 smaller ones, one for the Sirius (aux) connection and one for the subwoofer. I don't know why anyone would tell you you can't put one in, unless the NAV unit is plugged into the aux socket.

I don't use my factory Sirius (but its still installed) because I swaped out my Audiophile stereo. My Audiophile had 3 wiring harnesses attached to it, the main (big) harness, and 2 smaller ones, one for the Sirius (aux) connection and one for the subwoofer. I don't know why anyone would tell you you can't put one in, unless the NAV unit is plugged into the aux socket.

I don't suppose you would want to sell the sirius unit? I am looking (obviously)... Or if not, how difficult is it to get the part number from it? There are lots for sale on ebay, but it is pretty confusing which one works with our HU's.

I don't suppose you would want to sell the sirius unit? I am looking (obviously)... Or if not, how difficult is it to get the part number from it? There are lots for sale on ebay, but it is pretty confusing which one works with our HU's.

Well, it would be more work that its worth to get the darn thing out intact. Besides, right now I have everything I need to completely reverse every mod I have done to the car, I think I'll keep it that way.

What I WILL do is post the part number, if I can find one on there tomorrow.

they do work with the audiophile units. depending on what vehicle you are putting it in if it is a 2006 or 2007 the part number will have '18C963' in it.
There are several of them on Ebay right now. The install is easy. My Explorer was built in October 2005 (its a 2006 model) before the sirius units were available from the factory. I purchased the factory parts and installed it myself. Took 15 minutes. I have the navigation radio, but I know it will work with the audiophile units as well.

they do work with the audiophile units. depending on what vehicle you are putting it in if it is a 2006 or 2007 the part number will have '18C963' in it.
There are several of them on Ebay right now. The install is easy. My Explorer was built in October 2005 (its a 2006 model) before the sirius units were available from the factory. I purchased the factory parts and installed it myself. Took 15 minutes. I have the navigation radio, but I know it will work with the audiophile units as well.

I also (now) have the navi radio. Thanks for posting that part number, I just picked one up on ebay (for $150).

Did you install the factory antenna? I think you have to drill the roof for that, correct? I would prefer that method if it is not too difficult, better than running 20 feet of antenna wire and running through a door/hatch.

I couldn't find the factory antenna originally so I put a new antenna on the rear center of the roof and ran the wire through the moulding down into the passenger kickpanel were the Sirius receiver sits. Its really easy to hide the wires.

I couldn't find the factory antenna originally so I put a new antenna on the rear center of the roof and ran the wire through the moulding down into the passenger kickpanel were the Sirius receiver sits. Its really easy to hide the wires.

I have already done the same thing with the starmate I have in the truck now. It looks like all of the antennas have the same connection, if it will just plug right into the ford sirius unit I guess I am all ready to go.

Thanks!

I purchased the factory antenna. What would not surprise me is that Ford located it in front by the sunroof because the cable is shorter (and costs them less) than running all the way to the back where it would look better to begin with.

Ok, I installed the Sirius kit today with my '06 Nav radio (audiophile), it is working in the sense that the radio displays all of the stations and the name of the song playing, however I have no sound.

Does the radio have to be programmed to accept the Sirius signal or should it be plug and play?

it is plug and play. make sure you have the correct harness if you have the rear dvd player.

Hey 06EddieNav, I added on the Sirius to my 06 EB navigation as well. I had a few questions about the facotry antenna you purchased. I was wondering if it was the kind that the wire went through a hole in the roof and into the truck, or if you had to run the antenna through weather striping, etc, to get into the truck? I like the clean look of the the antenna running through the hole in the roof, but worried about leaking water.

it is plug and play. make sure you have the correct harness if you have the rear dvd player.

What do you mean here?

Are there 2 harnesses in the kick panel where the Sirius goes that are similar?

It is strange, I can see the artist and song on the display, the SR button is active, I can change channels, but no sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

factory nav is WAY overpriced. pick up a Pioneer AVIC-D3 (its their 2007 model) for $900, get the Pioneer SIRI-PNR2 module for $75, and youre set!

Back