Parking brake adjustment on a 97 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake adjustment on a 97 Explorer?

poppopa

Reaction score
97 explorer; i just replaced the parking brake shoes and adjusted them. now i apply the parking brake and it goes to the floor, without holding. i here that
cables strech. if i replace the front cable how do i release the cable from the assembly? does anyone have another sloution. thanks poppopa

If all of your springs are in place and the boots are seated correctly then there is a adjuster spindle (little cylinder with teeth on it) at the bottom of the rear brake assemble (mounted horizontally). You should spin that to spread out your shoes, then check when putting rear rotor back on that its a snug fit over your boots. If it isn't, spin that adjuster until your rotor is snug.

If you think it its your cable, then I would check both rear left and rear right cables to see if there is ware and if they still move (pull on the slider to the shoes). The front I would replace last.

Also check the parking brake pedal assembly and make sure your cable is still attached there.

I just replaced my entire PB system on a 98 V8 XLT so it should be the same if you have rear wheel discs.

Back