Adjustable shackle set help/question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adjustable shackle set help/question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have them, but didn't pay 37.99 for them... I think they were only like 15.99 or something when i bought them. I wouldn't pay that much for them either. I would just buy some 3/8" stock and cut and drill them. Piece of stock should be cheaper than that and you could probably make 2 sets.

Dan

hey, don't buy pay 37.99 for them. I got the same ones on close out for 7.99 from autozone. weird.

For the same price, you can get a set of Warrior shackles. I've seen the AutoZone specials... they pale in comparison to the Warriors. The Warriors are made of 1/2" plate with a large gusset in the middle to reinforce them. The AutoZone Specials are stamped steel if my memory serves... Nowhere near as beefy.

-Joe

The autozone shackles are either 5/16" or 3/8" steel. I believe they are just flat stock that is cut and drilled, and then zinc coated.

Dan

The autozone shackles are either 5/16" or 3/8" steel. I believe they are just flat stock that is cut and drilled, and then zinc coated.

Dan

I stand corrected. The last time I saw some of theirs, they were cheap junk. A piece of structural angle iron would have been stronger.

Also, if there's no gusset between the two side pieces, the rear spring mount can shift side to side. It probably doesn't affect the alignment or stability too awful much, but I prefer to keep the spring mounts as rigid as possible.

I agree, which is why I put a bolt through the middle hole with a piece of pipe as a spacer to keep it a little more rigid. I am looking at building a set of my own shackles that will look similar to the warriors. I just need to pick up the steel to do so.

Dan

I agree, which is why I put a bolt through the middle hole with a piece of pipe as a spacer to keep it a little more rigid.
Dan

That is better than nothing, but it makes me nervous seeing people use longer shackles that aren't re-enforced at all. Probably fine 99% of the time. But think about how bad it would be if your back end came around from swerving or something like that. The shackles could bend or flex so the axle would shift sideways to the inside of the skid, and the outside of your tire (the pivot point) would move further in. Just a thought anyway

not trying to be a forum idiot or anything, but the search function on this site doesn't work properly when i'm at work because of the proxy we have here, so does anyone have a link to where i can get a set of the warrior shackles?

thanks!!!

Back