Advice/Sanity Check

MM07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
I have posted my alleged issues in another thread, but I wanted to ask for some help separately.

I feel that my chimes are not working correctly. Let me explain...

When I start the car and before I put on my seat belt (and open the door when the car is on) that chime comes from the IPC. Is that normal?

When I pull forward and come close to something the chime comes from the IPC.

When I reverse and get close to something the chime comes from the IPC.

When I am in reverse and someone comes in range that chime comes from the IPC.

I know most of those are wrong. I remember hearing sounds come from the speakers in most of those cases. I noticed this maybe in July and have been going crazy trying to figure it out.

I have reset modules in FORScan, looked for DTCs in FORScan...nothing. Yes I upgraded to SYNC 3.4.

The other day I installed a new 750 CCA AGM battery. Today I fully charged that with a charger.

The sounds remain the same.

I am asking that if you have an 18 EXP that you let me know how exactly the sounds work for you. I guess it doesn't matter if it is an 18, maybe just a 5th gen?

Thanks for your help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not normal brother. Chimes should be coming from speakers as well, maybe when changing as built data in forscan something got changed that shouldn't have. My forward and back up sensors sounds come from what sounds like the stereo speakers as well.

I wish I could be of more help.

Thanks Todd. I don’t think I changed anything in FORScan that would of made a difference. But I’ll check.

I knew I wasn’t crazy.

I know this doesn't help a ton, but my brother has a 2018 Lincoln. Sometimes the sound will come from just his IPC instead of his speakers, too. It is uncommon, though. Have you pulled codes from the vehicle? It's possible that there is a communication error between certain modules causing this behavior. Then you'd at least have a starting point for reprogramming or replacing the module at fault.

I've honestly never paid attention to where the sounds emit from in any of the vehicles I've had. Perhaps others with members with a 2018 can 'chime' in but I'm guessing all model years are likely the same.

Peter

I've honestly never paid attention to where the sounds emit from in any of the vehicles I've had. Perhaps others with members with a 2018 can 'chime' in but I'm guessing all model years are likely the same.

Peter
The 2018 platinum plays all sound for everything through the speakers. I've had something play through the IPC when I flubbed a module flash via Forscan.

I'm speculating but...

Based on the Key On Engine Off and BMS state, I could see the sound varying. For instance key off ignition on with lights on may emit a sound through speakers as the system is still powered on at this point.

On a cold engine with lights on ignition off may only emit sound through the IPC as the audio and other systems are not powered on.

Pull the fuse for speakers (no clue which one) and see if anything changes if you really want to dig into it. I assume the speakers would only available in a key on engine off scenario (like right after turning off the car).

Speakers = audio system

The speakers don't have fuses.

Peter

Thanks for the tips so far guys.

I did try checking the Chime Mangement in FORScan. Mine was good and I couldn't change it anyway, got an error.

I do think I might have figured it out. I decided to make sure the subwoofer was working. It was. So I turned up the radio and checked each speaker. Lo and behold the rear door driver's side speaker sounded funny. I think it is blown. I barely heard any sound coming from it.

Even though it is freezing here, I took the door apart to look. No wiring issues at all. Just a blown speaker.

So I ordered some Kicker 46CSC674 speakers to replace the just 2 year old Rockford Fosgate, we'll see how it goes.

I think that the system realizes the speaker is blown, thus forcing all sounds out of the IPC.

The journey continues......

Let us know if the new door speakers solve this issue.

I have posted my alleged issues in another thread, but I wanted to ask for some help separately.

I feel that my chimes are not working correctly. Let me explain...

When I start the car and before I put on my seat belt (and open the door when the car is on) that chime comes from the IPC. Is that normal?

When I pull forward and come close to something the chime comes from the IPC.

When I reverse and get close to something the chime comes from the IPC.

When I am in reverse and someone comes in range that chime comes from the IPC.

I know most of those are wrong. I remember hearing sounds come from the speakers in most of those cases. I noticed this maybe in July and have been going crazy trying to figure it out.

I have reset modules in FORScan, looked for DTCs in FORScan...nothing. Yes I upgraded to SYNC 3.4.

The other day I installed a new 750 CCA AGM battery. Today I fully charged that with a charger.

The sounds remain the same.

I am asking that if you have an 18 EXP that you let me know how exactly the sounds work for you. I guess it doesn't matter if it is an 18, maybe just a 5th gen?

Thanks for your help guys.
For what it’s worth, my ‘16 sport (5th gen) started chiming from a different location as well as my phone, tailgate chime, crash sensors, etc for no apparent reason. After cranking the tunes a day later as my favorite song came on, it didn’t sound quite as full in the old Sony. I quickly figured out that the drivers door speaker had failed. Ordered a new one from “Village Ford Parts” and replaced. Everything returned to normal. Must default to another location when the audio senses a failure. Also, there were zero codes thrown from my Autel scanner which I checked before and after replacement. So, maybe check and confirm all your speakers are working properly…Weird!

While driving my 19 today I notice the reverse sensors sound appear to come from the rear drivers door speaker, while the blinkers sound come from the IPC, and the front parking sensors sound appears to come from the front center dash speaker.

Thanks Todd.

New speakers coming from Amazon tomorrow.

Thanks Todd.

New speakers coming from Amazon tomorrow.
The front parking sensors were harder to localize. The sound seemed to come from the center dash speaker, but could of also been the front p.s. sidespeaker.

The results are in:

100% FIXED!!!!

The new speakers worked. It is so nice to hear the sounds as they should be again.

The results are in:

100% FIXED!!!!

The new speakers worked. It is so nice to hear the sounds as they should be again.
That’s Fantastic DoubleM!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good deal.

Back