Aesthetics: Visor AND Hood Scoop? (1st, 2nd, 3rd gen) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Since you asked, and so that my efforts may help others:

This is my third hood scoop attempt. The first scoop was small, and I thought it would be just fine. But it ended up looking like a mail drop box
sitting on the hood. It did not fit the lines of the truck and did not look good. The second scoop was medium sized, which looked OK but not great. Lesson: avoid small scoops on these trucks.

This scoop is from “Mr. Hood Scoop”, and they are seem to still be doing business. Mr. Hood Scoop was very kind, and strongly recommended the largest scoop they sold. So this was it: the largest scoop they marketed for the Ford Explorer. Really, it is somewhat of a universal scoop offered for several vehicles. The scoop had forward wings/fins that I did not think were attractive. So I cut off the forward wings, then removed the grill inset as it no longer fit after deleting the forward wings. I was not sure if my cuts were precise enough, so I added black plastic door molding to the leading edge. This resulting in a more certain front edge.

To mount it, I made measurements and precisely centered the scoop where I thought it would look best. A Custom Hot Rod shop advised me to also eyeball it, which surprisingly led to minor adjustments from the strict measurements. Then taped the edges to mark location on the hood. Finally, made a template out of cardboard to show where the bolt holes were, marked the holes on the hood, and started drilling. Or you could tape it the dang thing on, but I could not stop visualizing the scoop flying through my windshield at 70 mph…

Painted the scoop black, largely per the advise of the Custom Hot Rod shop… they advised that my existing flames could make the scoop look like an afterthought if I painted the scoop OEM body colors, Black, they told me, would not present any trouble with the existing flames. The Custom Hot Rod shop was right.

After mounting, I discovered that my cuts on the fins and deletion of the grill insert resulted in an unstable front edge on the scoop… it flapped like a bird, even at about 40 mph. After some consideration, I found pvc sprinkler parts to fit: two wrench on style end caps that fit nicely between the hood and the scoop. Needed two. Screwed them both to a board, then cut them with a chop saw. Screwing the pvc end caps side by side to a board allowed for precisely equal cuts on each cap. Painted them black with plastic spray paint, and used two sided tape to fasten below the forward edge of the scoop and to the hood. Heating the two sided tape with a bbq lighter made the tape stick instantly, but had to be careful because only had one try. The black color made them disappear under the scoop. And the result was a rock solid forward edge on the scoop.

Then, after a few weeks, I noticed that the scoop edges must have vibrated or produced extra pressure in a few locations, and this was slowly wearing though the relatively new paint on my hood. It was even causing the hood paint to move out from under the hood scoop in small waves. Very odd. So carefully added a line of black 5200 sealant to all of the scoop edges where the scoop met the hood. This made the connection between the scoop and the hood almost bullet proof, and the issue of the hood paint was resolved.

Used a step drill to carefully place large holes in the hood, under the scoop. Used a wire to gauge depth so to avoid drilling all the way through into the scoop.

After getting it all finalized, I am very pleased with the result.

(Sometimes I think about adding LED lights under the scoop, or a moon visor. But it is always something….)

Take care, and drive safe my friend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A fantastic writeup there, and hopefully it helps! Definitely smarter to bolt it down for sure. Ya could, throw some lights in like a Ram TRX! lol

Since you asked, and so that my efforts may help others:

This is my third hood scoop attempt. The first scoop was small, and I thought it would be just fine. But it ended up looking like a mail drop box
sitting on the hood. It did not fit the lines of the truck and did not look good. The second scoop was medium sized, which looked OK but not great. Lesson: avoid small scoops on these trucks.

This scoop is from “Mr. Hood Scoop”, and they are seem to still be doing business. Mr. Hood Scoop was very kind, and strongly recommended the largest scoop they sold. So this was it: the largest scoop they marketed for the Ford Explorer. Really, it is somewhat of a universal scoop offered for several vehicles. The scoop had forward wings/fins that I did not think were attractive. So I cut off the forward wings, then removed the grill inset as it no longer fit after deleting the forward wings. I was not sure if my cuts were precise enough, so I added black plastic door molding to the leading edge. This resulting in a more certain front edge.

To mount it, I made measurements and precisely centered the scoop where I thought it would look best. A Custom Hot Rod shop advised me to also eyeball it, which surprisingly led to minor adjustments from the strict measurements. Then taped the edges to mark location on the hood. Finally, made a template out of cardboard to show where the bolt holes were, marked the holes on the hood, and started drilling. Or you could tape it the dang thing on, but I could not stop visualizing the scoop flying through my windshield at 70 mph…

Painted the scoop black, largely per the advise of the Custom Hot Rod shop… they advised that my existing flames could make the scoop look like an afterthought if I painted the scoop OEM body colors, Black, they told me, would not present any trouble with the existing flames. The Custom Hot Rod shop was right.

After mounting, I discovered that my cuts on the fins and deletion of the grill insert resulted in an unstable front edge on the scoop… it flapped like a bird, even at about 40 mph. After some consideration, I found pvc sprinkler parts to fit: two wrench on style end caps that fit nicely between the hood and the scoop. Needed two. Screwed them both to a board, then cut them with a chop saw. Screwing the pvc end caps side by side to a board allowed for precisely equal cuts on each cap. Painted them black with plastic spray paint, and used two sided tape to fasten below the forward edge of the scoop and to the hood. Heating the two sided tape with a bbq lighter made the tape stick instantly, but had to be careful because only had one try. The black color made them disappear under the scoop. And the result was a rock solid forward edge on the scoop.

Then, after a few weeks, I noticed that the scoop edges must have vibrated or produced extra pressure in a few locations, and this was slowly wearing though the relatively new paint on my hood. It was even causing the hood paint to move out from under the hood scoop in small waves. Very odd. So carefully added a line of black 5200 sealant to all of the scoop edges where the scoop met the hood. This made the connection between the scoop and the hood almost bullet proof, and the issue of the hood paint was resolved.

Used a step drill to carefully place large holes in the hood, under the scoop. Used a wire to gauge depth so to avoid drilling all the way through into the scoop.

After getting it all finalized, I am very pleased with the result.

(Sometimes I think about adding LED lights under the scoop, or a moon visor. But it is always something….)

Take care, and drive safe my friend.
What are the actual chances I was looking at a Mr. Hood Scoop scoop the other day...? Hahahaha. And, what are the chances I was sending pics of your Explorer to the gf that same day as well!? Small world. Love the flames, I was wanting to do some ghost flames or something myself, we shall see.

That was very enjoyable (and frightening imagining myself in your shoes) to read. If I did a scoop I'd consider making it functional more than not.. I don't think a snorkel is necessary, but I do find myself balls-deep in mud, water, ice, a lot of the time where I go out on my trails... I think hood height is about fair for "you probably shouldn't be going submarining in your truck and expect nothing to break" for a large splash or two or seven. So I'd totally justify it to myself to make a scoop functional on my Explorer for that sake lol.

So, do you think if I glassed / epoxied it to my hood before my inevitable repaint, I wouldn't run into those issues? I've read up on riveting it then filling it, that works very well too I've seen.

I'm glad you seem to have proven my theory and that I'm not crazy.. Little scoops look totally weird on these hoods. Gotta get just the right one looks like!! So if and when I do, I'll make sure to go to either Mr. Hood Scoop or get one that is identical in dimensions and angles/curves, ideally. Thank you so so much. I had been, like I said, looking at your truck for inspiration and detail and then here you are! Can't thank you enough seriously. I really appreciate the info [:

A fantastic writeup there, and hopefully it helps! Definitely smarter to bolt it down for sure. Ya could, throw some lights in like a Ram TRX! lol
Yeah, maybe some of those little drill and bolt LEDs that come in packs of 5 ;) Hahaha

Not sure they make packs that small but maybe! Mine was the smallest I saw and it was a 10 pack, but as said, I can find uses for them, I've got two rigs to work with lol

Look forward to seeing what ya do to the rig in the future!

So, do you think if I glassed / epoxied it to my hood before my inevitable repaint, I wouldn't run into those issues? I've read up on riveting it then filling it, that works very well too I've seen.

Some scoops lend themselves to rivets, with the lower edge turning outwards from the scoop. Most scoops, though, have lower edges that turn inwards, under the scoop. It would be very tough to use rivets to secure the Mr. Hood Scoop unit, as the mounting edges turn under the scoop. So you would have to rivet from underneath the hood. And the hood structure underneath is not flat. The under side of the hood structure has a support that would be very awkward and difficult (probably really impossible) for rivets. But you could achieve the same results with small bolts. And bolts would not show up top as the bottom edge of the scoop turns in, or under, the scoop. The Mr. Hood Scoop is probably designed to be taped…

Good luck with your project!!!

Functional Hood Vents? I over did these, but I am sure they get a bunch of heat out of the engine bay. I have gotten compliments and smirks with even finger pointing! Ha, ha, ha.................................... when asked, I tell them a supercharged 5.0 with headers is stuffed under there. I should have wrapped the headers and may still do so.

Aethestics, She is sitting on City/Highway rims in the picture. Those went to the wife's Edge and I am going to paint my Limited 16's black.

Truck.JPG

Functional Hood Vents? I over did these, but I am sure they get a bunch of heat out of the engine bay. I have gotten compliments and smirks with even finger pointing! Ha, ha, ha.................................... when asked, I tell them a supercharged 5.0 with headers is stuffed under there. I should have wrapped the headers and may still do so.

Aethestics, She is sitting on City/Highway rims in the picture. Those went to the wife's Edge and I am going to paint my Limited 16's black.

View attachment 444013
That is possibly the most visually exciting 3rd gen I've ever seen. I actually love it. I didn't even recognize it as a 3rd gen at first, I love this. Do you have a thread about it, if not could you tell me about it here??
Edit: Is it a 3rd gen? Or is it a 2nd gen with a 3rd gen front clip? Are those ranger headlights? I'm seeing 1998+ tail lights with the double stripe.... Huh!? Lmao I'm losing my mind LOL

I'm doing some homework on this subject ATM.. With my theory that the aesthetics are reminiscent of OBS trucks especially 2nd and 1st gen, that since I've seen scoops and cowls on hoods of full size trucks that looked damn good (to me) that it may look good on an Ex. Here are some pieces of media that came up on a google search for fullsize OBS trucks (in attached.)

I did not expect to like any of these... And I think I like them all. interestingly, I did not even search for "scoop and visor OBS Ford" I actually only searched for scoops, and most of them also had visors. Which I think is pretty interesting.
What do you guys think?

Link to Blue F Series Cowl Hood Thread

28f4f4e9[1].jpg

d74d251d20550c7dcf9cc7b14347b703.jpg

orangebroncohoodcowlandvisor.png

broncowithscoopandvisor.png

Interesting, and looks good. It does work…

It's a good, old school look, especially paired with roll bars (if ya got a pickup) and big ol' lights on the rack!

And by the way @metalxface , Blowns is a second gen with a ranger front clip: doors back are explorer but everything in front of the door is a ranger body. Definitely one of the very unique rigs among us, and a build log worth checking out if ya find some time lol

@metalxface Actually those old "super trucks" of the 1980s and '90s are exactly what I thought of when you first mentioned the combination of scoop/cowl and visor. Which fit well with your description of modeling it after the classic toughies, being that a lot of the "super trucks" were 2500 and 3500 classes, very tough indeed. Don't know that I've ever seen a FSB with scoop and visor IRL, but there is a handful of Chevy and Ford super trucks running around locally to me.

I do think the look lends itself better to full-size than to these small rigs, with of course the epitome of the look belonging to semi tractors and such heavy trucks (presumably where the inspiration came from; the visors on those make more sense, since you're way up above every thing).

Keep seeking around, there's sure to be a few options still in existence, if not in production, and you can always have somebody fabricate the perfect scoop if you're dedicated!

@metalxface Actually those old "super trucks" of the 1980s and '90s are exactly what I thought of when you first mentioned the combination of scoop/cowl and visor. Which fit well with your description of modeling it after the classic toughies, being that a lot of the "super trucks" were 2500 and 3500 classes, very tough indeed. Don't know that I've ever seen a FSB with scoop and visor IRL, but there is a handful of Chevy and Ford super trucks running around locally to me.

I do think the look lends itself better to full-size than to these small rigs, with of course the epitome of the look belonging to semi tractors and such heavy trucks (presumably where the inspiration came from; the visors on those make more sense, since you're way up above every thing).

Keep seeking around, there's sure to be a few options still in existence, if not in production, and you can always have somebody fabricate the perfect scoop if you're dedicated!
See you're reading my mind here.. Definitely works for fullsize trucks with their individual characteristics. Does it translate as fluidly? I wonder.. Haha
Little on the "maybe not" side personally because at least for 2nd gen the curved front clip might take away from the look and make it more "ricey" or "tacky."
My mind says "curved front clip balances out with curved angles on the scoop," but I'm more partial to an angular scoop like we see in the fullsize classics above. And I, personally, don't really like the look of curvy singular scoops that you'd see on something like a Miata on what is realistically a small truck.
I might have to fire up old photoshop just to find out for myself how it would look with a 2nd gen. I am very confident that it would look awesome on an angular fronted 1st gen, but again as you said and I agree, it makes total complete sense on a full size truck that is meant to work or play hard and be serious under the hood without question. Gotta do some science in an image editor I guess! Will report back when I get around to it

Quite the Trip: 2001 Ranger Edge Front to 2000 Explorer

Never happy, now I want 4 low, 1" more lift and big ole 31's, better yet, I want my old Bronc back:
View attachment 444053

I parted this beast out for about $15,000 when we hit some hard times.
God damn. If my truck ever gets crunched up... This is what it will become.. If it's bad enough that I can't denial my way into doing more bodywork than it is worth, hahaha. I really really really wanna rip it apart and be able to enjoy nature the hard way which is with bugs and bullshit making its way into the cabin, but not caring if it gets muddy or dirty because it is no longer a luxurious plush interior, and now just utilitary like the rest of it. That would be a nice dream, but as I said I wouldn't do it to my truck as it currently is.. It is too nice :/
I can't justify doing it to a beater that I might pick up, because then I'd have to take care of it if I wanted to keep playing with my cool new toy. 🤦‍♂️

Loved that thread and the following thread, they were really good reads!!

So I'm seeing that I actually might just want a "ranger powerdome hood" LOL. Just something to make that front end look more square and less rectangular/long.

I, also, had mine set up for camping for a while (still would if I didn't have to haul garbage in it a few times recently.) they are VERY comfy for sleeping in if you add a window screen over the rear lift glass, and in at least one of the passenger windows.
(Reading both threads, now;)
What did you think of that aftermarket center console? I have mine ripped out, I may harvest the 12v lead from it but I never used it for anything other than clutter. Cleaned it to factory levels of clean, and then decided "meh." I'm also debating whether doing a front 40/20/40 bench seat, but I would have a hard time finding one in matching grey vinyl/leather.. But I would love that.

That was really a journey, from start to finish. The paint really came out intentional looking and I'm sure whoever has it now probably kept the color scheme going!

Back