Aesthetics: Visor AND Hood Scoop? (1st, 2nd, 3rd gen) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Metalface

Reaction score
City, State
East Coast US
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Hood scoops paired with sun/moon/solar/lunar visors? Is that a combo we decided we like?
Functional or non-functional, not really a dealbreaker for me in terms of visual aesthetic. I'm trying to find pics of trucks that have at least some lift (or I could imagine that at least,) a visor, and a single hood scoop.
The ones I have seen match VERY nicely with the angles built into the 1st and 2nd gen hoods. I do not particularly think they look amazing on 3rd gens unless they're lowered or intended for street only use and own up to their plastic trim, Mustang's-cousin nature. Personally. :)
I, myself, have a 97 XLT with all the factory chrome. Lots of metal, lots of dense light-truck vibe.
I think a hood scoop, if I glassed it to my hood that is in *desperate need of paint* would look actually pretty great. Bonus points to me if I make it functional.

My reasoning behind thinking it looks good, is that the one thing I don't love about Explorers is the 1st 2nd and 3rd gen is the front end looks like a long protruding nose. Or the front of a passenger train. It is low and long. It's really out there. 1st gen was less guilty of this as they had the flat square lights and it was nice and angular. It looked serious. 2nd gen looks like a long 90's minivan front end. It works, but I think it could work better, you know? 3rd gen is like a mix of the two, with a little bit of Land Rover shoved in there.
And for me, that's where the hood scoop fills that awkward negative space. Cowls work, but they continue on that original angle that makes them look.... long and low.
However. If we are speaking pure functionality, I'd rather have a cowl for when mud and bullshit fly up onto or over my hood so that it doesn't also fly up into my theoretical scoop. Nobody wants a dirty brown scoop-hole. But I'm not in it for functionality, alone, I'm in it for the looks. And mild functionality. Like all the cool kids should be.
I think we can all agree the best angle of photography for these trucks is on a slight frontal angle. It makes the front end look less like a torpedo, you know what I mean? And I think that's because the front really is just kind of long and low lol. I'd always prefer this however because screw pulling off the body or pulling the motor out from underneath should you need to replace things.... Regardless, I think to beef up the look, the singular, wide, angular and bulky scoops really take it all the way to the level of "thick truck" and away from "mid 90's sedans had a baby with early 90's trucks." Idk, maybe I'm crazy.
So does anyone have opinions or pictures of 1, 2, and 3rd gen Explorers with scoops and ideally also visors? Scoops first please of course. Do you also feel like adding a nice meaty scoop makes the hoods look less like the kinds of toys you threw underwater in the swimming pool as a kid, and more like a serious piece of machinery, all while being more pleasant to the eye? Let me know!! And post if you got em, because I'm trying to make a serious adult decision here... :) Old thread pics seem scarce and all the old links are dead! Thanks!

TL;DR
As the thread title suggests: reasoning aside, is it visually appealing to have the combo of a visor and a scoop? Do they not get along? Is one better than the other and they should be left alone visually? Or am I right in suspecting that as far as aesthetics go, they look good together. I am only lead to believe such for my own personal reasons, I have very little evidence supporting this, because as the OP says, it is damn hard to find good media of this combo especially on 1st and 2nd gens.
For those who do not know the word well,

Aesthetics is a core design principle that defines a design’s pleasing qualities. In visual terms, aesthetics includes factors such as balance, color, movement, pattern, scale, shape and visual weight. Designers use aesthetics to complement their designs’ usability, and so enhance functionality with attractive layouts.

Therefore, in my personal opinion: Hood ugly. Not good aesthetics. Need more space fill fix ugly if truck be completely nice look at. Rest of truck look good.. Truck come with nice paint. Truck should be nice look at. /caveman voice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@metalxface Not to be that guy, but I think visors look stupid and unduly obscure vision. As far as the hood goes, nothing screams "ricer" like a nonfunctional scoop. If you have a motor that necessitates a scoop, that's different; but the hoods are designed long and low for the function of being able to see over them, which those of us who lift and off-road already have enough trouble doing. They are not that long and they are not that low, in practice.

But, you're entitled to your opinion - a quick web search will yield lots of pics of visors and scoops on any generation.

@metalxface Not to be that guy, but I think visors look stupid and unduly obscure vision. As far as the hood goes, nothing screams "ricer" like a nonfunctional scoop. If you have a motor that necessitates a scoop, that's different; but the hoods are designed long and low for the function of being able to see over them, which those of us who lift and off-road already have enough trouble doing. They are not that long and they are not that low, in practice.

But, you're entitled to your opinion - a quick web search will yield lots of pics of visors and scoops on any generation.
As one who does, also, lift and off-road... And off-road my lifted truck. [See what I did there?] I don't find it necessary to have magical incredible vision. I would definitely, certainly, without any doubt at all, go as far as to say I think it is a bit of a leap to word your reply in such a way that implies I do not off-road, as your reply was not inclusive to me. But that's really not a big deal, whichever way you may have meant it anyway, since I do, and have for a long time. No biggie. But I do lift. In case you missed that part. 💪
You'd think if we were to have optimal vision we'd go more with the van approach back then, right? Short and low. Like what I had on my lifted AWD Astro Safari. Best of all worlds for vision! Ford was clueless, sheesh lol.
That being said, I am evidently not the only lifting-off-roader who could stand to have an inch or two of my hood not visible. For example, those who lift and off-road also do this:
1689483471622.png

Or also this:
1689483568539.png

But, oh god, don't even get me started on this... how could someone do such a thing?:
1689483962073.png

Pretty impractical, all of it, if you ask me. What do I know. :rolleyes:

That being said, don't worry. As a person born between 1990-2000, web searches are something I have at some point like the rest of us, learned to do. Coincidentally, to the possible surprise of many, I did do those web searches. And, like my original post did say, there are very few good results, and the ones that do exist, are not often from many angles, or lead to dead sources, or are garbage quality to the point of being basically entirely useless for me to make any decisions or form any solid opinions...
But don't worry! There is such a place where many people probably have the ability to straight up walk outside or into the garage to go take a picture of their visor-and-scoop modded Explorers. I believe one can find such people at www.explorerforum.com. One may even wish to start a thread on that very topic.. if that is what they were searching for...

At any rate, thank you for sharing. And thank you for educating me, I really didn't know any of this to begin with, I think I may actually have been born yesterday. Never even driven an Explorer actually. Totally clueless, yes I am. ;) Haha. [Again, no biggie. :p]
As for visors obscuring vision.. Hmm.. I would have to disagree. I have definitely enjoyed the lack of sun beaming into my eyes while hitting my local spots and trails with my visor install. Or going up hills on my local roads during unfortunate hours of the day where the sun is trying to kill everyone who is driving with anything above 20% front window tint. Since, after all, most of the time you are driving, mudding, crawling. You're not looking straight up to the top of your windshield. After all, Ford was kind enough to give us interior visors and a tint bar from the factory. The maniacal b******s.
Truly, installing a visor has actually been great, you should actually give it a try if you haven't! [3M adhesive strips can hold one on and be removed any time!] You are of course entitled to your opinion, and may conclude your own conclusions as quickly or slowly as you wish. It is your truck, not mine. Everyone's mileage may vary as everyone's experiences are their own and are therefore subjective.

Also, for one last added laugh [I am laughing with you, not at you, I hope that has been clear through the whole post. Note I appreciate your help on a lot of troubleshooting threads, you are a solid fellow member of this community -- no hate, just fun.]
1689486742666.png

Damn ricers.

As I cannot edit my previous post, but don't think this belongs in the original post:
Now I will say.
Double hood scoops. Over-the-top hood scoops with over-engineered grille designs.. Ones with lights in them that don't do anything.. Ones that are at weird angles. I don't like them, right? But I do appreciate the effort that goes into making the modifications even if they're stick-on. I'm just glad someone is enjoying a real truck versus a new plastic computer on wheels, I think we can all get into that. Lift your highboy ranger XLT F150 from the 70s, lower your C10, do some fiberglass mods to your 90s Ranger Explorer Tacoma 4runner etc you get the idea. It's the essence of the era, and I do love that. That being said, there are more simple, realistic, can-be-made-functional scoops that Lund makes, whereas they also make a popular visor (one that I have, hence my curiosity.) So I would easily assume that of all combinations of visor-and-scoop, they *may* look good together. Possibly. Evidence required.
I am really not the biggest fan of rice. The thing is, a major aspect of culture surrounding mini trucks and truck-based SUVs from the 90s encapsulates mods like this. Ones that are entirely for looks does belong in that category, whether that's our thing or not. Does that mean I /love it always/, as said previously, no. And to be fair, a lot of people own multiple vehicles for different "discplines" or "use cases." Some are my thing, some aren't. But either way, I'm exploring something--trying to form more solidly planted opinions--so I figure, maybe someone can post or source some media that they find interesting on the subject of paired visors and scoops. So if anyone can do that, I'm all eyes, and thank you in advance!

@metalxface Well, this seems to be quite the conversation piece! Sorry if I came off as rude, had no intention of calling you a casual. "Those of us who off-road" evidently includes you (I've seen pics of your rig, she's sweet!) and I must also object to any jacks, shovels, light bars, and any other accessories mounted on the hood... of course, I'm short any way, so may be it's just me who can't see over the hood. Visibility for some means more open space, visibility for others means less sun glare; opinions.

Anywho, while I'm not into the look or function myself, I also did some of them golden web searches last night, and while it's not hard to find pics of each of the mods, it isn't easy to find pics of all the mods together, as you also mentioned.

@DemonMudder 's Deathrow has a lift and visor, surprised he hasn't checked in here yet. I can't upload the pic because Windows wants to be stupid, but here ya go:

1st-gen

Check out @Rhett's PFP.

I know Lund made a 1st-gen sun visor, besides scoops, so there's also a keyword to use in searches. They might have designed a "matching" pair, but I can't confirm that.

You may also like the attached file... but I doubt it!

Attachments

• MzZCYYrIh544p2modBT2xHdm8jMmSiRgkdCG2uHbO8o.webp
    73.4 KB · Views: 69

I do have to agree, not a fan of mounting things on the hood, some hood corner pod lights ain't bad. I liked the visors, why I threw one on and putting one on the new rig too, an old school vibe it gives, plus the older trucks just pair with it great to me. But I do get @DintDobbs not liking it, it's not everyone's cup of tea and thats fine. And to be fair, it does obstruct some view, like a lot of lights around me were blocked unless I was way back or leaning way up! lol
Never had a cowl to pair it with, but this was mine. I do suggest like mine, get a rack up top to mount stuff too, I put my spare up there, had a shovel, was working on some other stuff like a hi lift and such too. Works better and it's out of the way for standard driving. there was a guy that used to take the mustang cowl hoods and made 'em work, used to do batch builds when enough were willing to order, not sure they still do though, could always make your own too, not crazy difficult.

Edit: another visor advantage is towing, or just accessory light as a whole. Makes the rig more obvious and less likely to be hit in the dark, plus they work as clearance lights going in parking garages or under trees

20220308_084620.jpg

20220308_081500.jpg

I do have to agree, not a fan of mounting things on the hood, some hood corner pod lights ain't bad. I liked the visors, why I threw one on and putting one on the new rig too, an old school vibe it gives, plus the older trucks just pair with it great to me. But I do get @DintDobbs not liking it, it's not everyone's cup of tea and thats fine. And to be fair, it does obstruct some view, like a lot of lights around me were blocked unless I was way back or leaning way up! lol
Never had a cowl to pair it with, but this was mine. I do suggest like mine, get a rack up top to mount stuff too, I put my spare up there, had a shovel, was working on some other stuff like a hi lift and such too. Works better and it's out of the way for standard driving. there was a guy that used to take the mustang cowl hoods and made 'em work, used to do batch builds when enough were willing to order, not sure they still do though, could always make your own too, not crazy difficult.

Edit: another visor advantage is towing, or just accessory light as a whole. Makes the rig more obvious and less likely to be hit in the dark, plus they work as clearance lights going in parking garages or under trees

View attachment 443892

View attachment 443893
I absolutely ****in love those lights in your visor. Very very very nice looks there. I swear those headlights only look good on blacked out trucks, and they look at home on your Explorer!
I personally use my (restored, humble-brag.) Rallye 5000s as a tree clearance marker. I am so good at it, I even rip them clear off my roof with trees sometimes. :) Hahaha.. In all seriousness though that was a real ***** to re-do, I had to get new roof rack bars and everything. Everything got ripped clean off. You wouldn't think a clearly weathered and aged piece of cedar would be as strong as a freshly fallen tree, but I forget that cedar is literally used for its properties of lasting very long in the elements. (Saunas, shingles, shakes, fences, fence posts, handles...) I learned the hard way. The very hard way.
@metalxface Well, this seems to be quite the conversation piece! Sorry if I came off as rude, had no intention of calling you a casual. "Those of us who off-road" evidently includes you (I've seen pics of your rig, she's sweet!) and I must also object to any jacks, shovels, light bars, and any other accessories mounted on the hood... of course, I'm short any way, so may be it's just me who can't see over the hood. Visibility for some means more open space, visibility for others means less sun glare; opinions.

Anywho, while I'm not into the look or function myself, I also did some of them golden web searches last night, and while it's not hard to find pics of each of the mods, it isn't easy to find pics of all the mods together, as you also mentioned.

@DemonMudder 's Deathrow has a lift and visor, surprised he hasn't checked in here yet. I can't upload the pic because Windows wants to be stupid, but here ya go:

1st-gen

Check out @Rhett's PFP.

I know Lund made a 1st-gen sun visor, besides scoops, so there's also a keyword to use in searches. They might have designed a "matching" pair, but I can't confirm that.

You may also like the attached file... but I doubt it!
No worries ;) Yeah, I did indeed lern2searchbar. I know, yeah. I looked, really isn't much of that combo that exists and that which does exist is... very uselessly "potato-quality" from being archaeologic internet media by now.
Thank you for the compliment :) I really do my best to take care of it. that does include visually hahaha. so I do appreciate that.
And thank you for the links and resources!
That Explorer is definitely cursed. :) The one attached. I think the scoop looks like it belongs on a car... an entirely different car (than a Mustang).. And that's let alone the rest of it. It's someone's thing though so good on them but I wouldn't park next to it LOL

I absolutely ****in love those lights in your visor. Very very very nice looks there. I swear those headlights only look good on blacked out trucks, and they look at home on your Explorer!
Thank you! I do agree that usually the blacked out ones work best with those headlights. Seen some white ones that it worked with decently too though! And just as a heads up, I vote visors yeah, but note that they get more and more expensive due to a lack of 'em. Can always take a non-lighted one and modify lights to fit in too. Seen a lot take stuff like these small lil' round marker lights I got in the grille and put them in the non-lighted ones, literally like 30 of 'em just lining it, not a huge fan but it ain't bad. Some grille lights as a side note are quite nice too, especially paired with the visor like that lol

20220323_111137.jpg

Thank you! I do agree that usually the blacked out ones work best with those headlights. Seen some white ones that it worked with decently too though! And just as a heads up, I vote visors yeah, but note that they get more and more expensive due to a lack of 'em. Can always take a non-lighted one and modify lights to fit in too. Seen a lot take stuff like these small lil' round marker lights I got in the grille and put them in the non-lighted ones, literally like 30 of 'em just lining it, not a huge fan but it ain't bad. Some grille lights as a side note are quite nice too, especially paired with the visor like that lol

View attachment 443906
Oh for real, the visors are HARD to get now. I went to my local junk yard (you know, in the pine barrens, where everyone drives a lifted truck or a stock Jeep at the very least seems like,) they had about 8 visors. None fit the Explorer they were all OBS Ford ; Chevy and Jeep. I finally got my hands on one for $200 it came with a white paint job over a black factory gel coat, got paint, did the paint work, re-sealed the lights. God I love it. It was such a rewarding project cuz I know how rare they are now. Was hunting for probably 2 years at this point to find one in reasonable distance. Would literally have grabbed any of them since I planned to paint it, anyway, but they were all out in bumblefuck PA or multiple states away to the point where it was no longer economical to get those particular visors. But the silver lining is none of the ones I hunted down were actually moon visors, just sun visors with no lights. Gotta love those lights since they do serve some practicality purpose.

I've seen those little tiny marker lights just... spammed for lack of a better word all over some peoples trucks. They look good on a flat bed as marker lights, I wouldn't really give my truck "gold teeth" made out of tiny marker lights if you feel me. A reasonable number makes sense, but jeez, people do love to like load up on them. Maybe they come in packs of 20 now, I dunno, haven't checked in a while LOL
I just don't love the look of a trillion little LEDs in the style of acne, sort of filling grilles and anywhere someone could drill the holes and run the wires. They are cool when they make sense, but you're right, people do like to put them in some weird and often senseless places. Not a fan! Especially, like you said, in visors. I think a "bulb" or a "housing" looks more appropriate whereas the little Amazon/AliExpress/Chinesium marker lights are not quite the same vibe. They have their place, like a few in a grille, or corners on a flat bed, but not in a visor (most of the time).
Edit: Of course, like I said, the right amount looks correct and good. Your grille has the right amount and it loooks great. Totally fits the whole balance and it isn't like you've turned only the front of your truck into a chrismtas tree, it is nice and even and subtle and balanced. :)

On the note of your color scheme, I really feel like you've managed to imply a blue and green flame job over black.. Maybe with some skulls, and other ghostly imagery... without actually getting the paint done.. And I love that hahahah. Those lights and the satin black sells it. What did you use to paint it? Plasti dip? Satin black aerosol? Satin black from an actual paint gun like a responsible adult (none of us I'm sure) would do? Hahaha. I love it though, looks so clean and even.

Yeah, the shotgun sprayed amount of matker lights is a bit annoying. If it's a genuine big rig/tow rig, I kind of get it, but otherwise it's bit overkill. Mine came as a pack of 10, still got 6 left to use somewhere. Grab small pack, take a sunvisor and slap 5 of those marker lights in like a regular moon visor, similar look without much work. I think the 4 in the grille is the perfect look, seen some make 3 work and that's good too, start doing double rows for like 8 in the grille and now you're overboard lol

I appreciate that, actually not far off the rig, the interior lights were all blue, from the dome lights to the radio and bezel buttons, cluster was kind of stuck green due to the film on it but it had blue accents. My puddle lights under the mirror were green, same with the license plate lights. So I did actually have a green and blue accent to it, some green and blue flames would be kind of cool though! Maybe an idea for the 1500 since it needs a paint job lol

Not exactly what was used for the paint, took it to a guy nearby to paint it. Wasnt real great, overall and from a distance it was fine, but stuff like the door jams had paper and stuff stuck in some of the paint, couple of peeled up spots, and then stuff like the plastics just started peeling right back to the ol' grey a good bit, not sure he sanded it much or at all (proof being the doorjamb still being the original maroon under the stuck paper bits). I paid cheap and got kinda cheap, it was to be expected, plus I literally tore it through the woods within the first week of it had had pinstriping from branches, so I wasnt too torn up about it. I want to say the guy uses an actual paint gun but I could be wrong

Yeah, the shotgun sprayed amount of matker lights is a bit annoying. If it's a genuine big rig/tow rig, I kind of get it, but otherwise it's bit overkill. Mine came as a pack of 10, still got 6 left to use somewhere. Grab small pack, take a sunvisor and slap 5 of those marker lights in like a regular moon visor, similar look without much work. I think the 4 in the grille is the perfect look, seen some make 3 work and that's good too, start doing double rows for like 8 in the grille and now you're overboard lol

I appreciate that, actually not far off the rig, the interior lights were all blue, from the dome lights to the radio and bezel buttons, cluster was kind of stuck green due to the film on it but it had blue accents. My puddle lights under the mirror were green, same with the license plate lights. So I did actually have a green and blue accent to it, some green and blue flames would be kind of cool though! Maybe an idea for the 1500 since it needs a paint job lol
I feel like you nailed it. Double rows is where it becomes a little wild and extra LOL.
Man I really see the vision. I've actually seen pics of it before, prior to me actually joining and posting. Was a big inspiration for me to try new things! Used to send pics from the forum to my gf, a lot of them were of your truck of course and we'd naturally pick everything apart like psychopaths. :)
You always got a good vote in our book hahahahahah

Not exactly what was used for the paint, took it to a guy nearby to paint it. Wasnt real great, overall and from a distance it was fine, but stuff like the door jams had paper and stuff stuck in some of the paint, couple of peeled up spots, and then stuff like the plastics just started peeling right back to the ol' grey a good bit, not sure he sanded it much or at all (proof being the doorjamb still being the original maroon under the stuck paper bits). I paid cheap and got kinda cheap, it was to be expected, plus I literally tore it through the woods within the first week of it had had pinstriping from branches, so I wasnt too torn up about it. I want to say the guy uses an actual paint gun but I could be wrong
Listen, you could be me. And just be in denial about your failing paint and continuously polish and touch it up into an endless money pit. :) Instead of, you know, like you did, just going and getting something done about it. +1 to you for that.

As a treat, here's the visor from today (with chipping hood paint making an appearance,) before and after Chicken of the Woods joined the party. Hahah

20230716_195108.jpg

20230716_212317.jpg

That's a nice setup! that paint ain't too horrible, the rack is also a nice setup with the lights, think ya need some smoked lenses for the visor like I had. Mine wasnt originally either, worst was the hood and roof fading and clear peeling, then I also had to replace the hatch and the donor was green which absolutely broke me. Honestly looking back I wish I hadn't of painted it, especially since not even a year later the engine said screw you and the timing chain issues kicked in, causing me to park her. Since been working on the new daily, my c1500, picture (first picture of Dearhrow on day 1 of ownership way, way back) from me test fitting the visor, can actually just see Deathrow hiding behind her. The chevy has been a lot of work too, but nothing compared to pulling the engine of the X for the chains. But once I'm done with this rig hopefully by this fall, I'll be back into messing with 5.0 swapping the X and bringing it back. See, I've got an endless money pit too, but instead I've just got two, neither of which do I care much for the paint of currently, literally would send that chevy down a jeep path and have no care, actually did once lol

20190917_192306.jpg

20230617_124904.jpg

That's a nice setup! that paint ain't too horrible, the rack is also a nice setup with the lights, think ya need some smoked lenses for the visor like I had. Mine wasnt originally either, worst was the hood and roof fading and clear peeling, then I also had to replace the hatch and the donor was green which absolutely broke me. Honestly looking back I wish I hadn't of painted it, especially since not even a year later the engine said screw you and the timing chain issues kicked in, causing me to park her. Since been working on the new daily, my c1500, picture (first picture of Dearhrow on day 1 of ownership way, way back) from me test fitting the visor, can actually just see Deathrow hiding behind her. The chevy has been a lot of work too, but nothing compared to pulling the engine of the X for the chains. But once I'm done with this rig hopefully by this fall, I'll be back into messing with 5.0 swapping the X and bringing it back. See, I've got an endless money pit too, but instead I've just got two, neither of which do I care much for the paint of currently, literally would send that chevy down a jeep path and have no care, actually did once lol

View attachment 443929

View attachment 443932
Thank you thank you 😌 I think the lights match my running lights pretty well, I've actually got clear lenses for them too.. But I want it to look like it materialized this way and not like I modded a ton of stuff, to the inexperienced eye. Hahahah
I read your thread on the timing chain disaster :[ I think it'll be worth to resurrect.. without question!! It'll be a real muscle truck now with a 302 in it! Hahaha
Think I'd send the Chevy down a jeep path too with that bumper and side bar setup hahahaha I wouldn't be scared xD
This is my next possible move. I restored these last year for a light bar I never installed. Can't even find parts for them online anymore. I love them lol
I've actually had four additional lights (which I also restored) just floating around my toolbox in the truck for about a year now. Bout time I installed them on the light bar. Lucky me I foresaw that I may at one point install a visor, and I didn't want them to interfere with each other. So now its time!! I hope lol

20230717_150753.jpg

20230717_150759.jpg

20230717_150827.jpg

Fair enough, there's a retro look to those oem ambers too! It really wont fit down those jeep trails soon, suckers going to be way too tall. Oh for sure, going to do what I can to bring her back, a lot of memories and cash in that truck, plus it was my first rig. I actually looked onto a set of those for mine!! Never pulled the trigger since I just threw the rack up and was going to use that, not to mention the rack took up the literal whole roof, from hatch to visor, so I didnt have room to add it anyway. Should be a nice touch, especially since the visor will help block some of the glare from it

Fair enough, there's a retro look to those oem ambers too! It really wont fit down those jeep trails soon, suckers going to be way too tall. Oh for sure, going to do what I can to bring her back, a lot of memories and cash in that truck, plus it was my first rig. I actually looked onto a set of those for mine!! Never pulled the trigger since I just threw the rack up and was going to use that, not to mention the rack took up the literal whole roof, from hatch to visor, so I didnt have room to add it anyway. Should be a nice touch, especially since the visor will help block some of the glare from it

Yeah! I love the retro look. It's something I think died as soon as 3rd gen came along.. IMO a ton of inspiration from classic Ford trucks went into these trucks, lucky me I've got the chrome bumpers and no plastic trim minus the running boards. Kinda going for that classic truck look on an Explorer. I think it works for my particular setup! (Something you won't find in a comparable age Jeep!! mind you!! lol)
Genuinely I had expected that my rack would be much larger, on Marketplace. But I really just needed a rack because I kept my spare there, when my spare holder rotted out after many coastal winters and summers lolol.. Now that I have this rack I want a larger one (same scale as yours) but I want to only have lights on the side of it (I have a particular set of lights that I think would work quite well in that case).
Currently my lights are far enough back that when I have them on, the slits in the sun roof interior cover let some light in LOL. I think if they were further forward however, the visor is, like you said, going to make a huge difference blocking out the light bleed onto my dashboard at night.. So I guess good call by past me. :p
Those particular Carr rack mounts are so ancient I couldn't find the brackets for them, so I'm gonna just have to drill and tap them or drill them and use some beefy self-tappers. I won't be loading it up with excessively heavy lights, so I'm not very worried! Carr does still make rack mounts just not those. I think they're about as old as my Explorer.. They were totally beyond oxidized when I got them, and I painted the logo in to match the brand logo (none of them came that way, aren't I cool? hahahaha), I had only really bought the light bar that they came with for some of the lights that were on it currently. I didn't wanna go with the newer LED light bars because I've restored this Explorer so much to factory (and then some mods that I'm trying to keep era correct,) that I want to keep the vibe going. I feel like if I start to put stuff on it that is more modern it will not be special to me anymore, because modern is easy, if that makes sense. It would still be cool and valid, but I wanna feel those nostalgic feelings. I want an authentic experience that I will never get unless I do it exactly this way.. Hahah
That probably explains a bit why I'm leaning towards "oldschool mods" like hood scoops visors and now I'm looking into those rear wing-wind-deflectors. Whatever Lund and other brands called them. Like the Saleen's had. Wish they didn't poke up like a tail, but they had to because of the lift glass.. Tough.. They would actually definitely help protect my weather seals for my lift gate, too. Kind of torn between it. The other good aspect is the paint fades from the top down, the clearcoat gets annihilated by the sun.. So lots of fiberglass BS with brand new paint covers up those problems so I can pretend nothing is happening under them :)
Something about fiberglass stuff just gets me in the feels lol, idk. Used to think camper van conversions were tacky.. Now I love them. But I don't wanna disgrace the objectively very very nice angles and curves that the Explorers have especially on the rear. The rear is just perfection.

Fair, trying to stick with an old school look on the chevy, for the most part at least lol

The rack I want to say is 84"s long, got it off Amazon, made by Arksen. One thing I do suggest doing too when ya go with the larger rack, is adding some more crossmembers for support, especially with how far the front hangs off from the rails. Could do an expedition rail swap too, I had all the stuff for it and just said screw it, I'll only put lighter stuff up front and call it good for now. Those rear wind deflector are hit or miss for me, generally not a fan but some rigs pull it off. Harder to find that than a visor lol

Some pictures from when I added the extra two cross members and some from messing with the expedition rails and comparing them to the X ones

20220104_095803.jpg

20220104_095749.jpg

20211214_124522.jpg

20211214_123702.jpg

20211214_123638.jpg

Those moon visors are super nice looking! I could not find one when I was looking. Very well done!

But here are a few hood scoop and flames photos. The hood scoop is bolted to the truck, as taping things on seemed sketchy (but is probably fine with current products). The hood scoop is also functional: cut holes in the hood under it hoping it might let cool air in or hot air out, have not had any problems with getting rain or snow or ice on the engine … a completely nonfunctional hood scoop seemed to defeat the purpose. I always wanted a vehicle with flames and a hood scoop. Got one now.

I think, but am not sure, that a moon visor would make it look even wilder. Maybe like a 50’s Oldsmobile or something. I have NEVER seen a truck or picture of one of these trucks with a hood scoop and moon visor.

Anyway, to each own. Isn’t that the point of these trucks? Just glad I am not counting cup holders or wondering why my transmission can not be serviced.

Take care and drive safe.

IMG_8035.jpeg

IMG_8034.jpeg

IMG_8033.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those moon visors are super nice looking. I could not find one when I was looking. Very well done!

But here are a few hood scoop and flames photos. The hood scoop is bolted to the truck, as taping things on seemed sketchy (but is probably fine with current products). The hood scoop is also functional: cut holes in the hood under it hoping it might let cool air in or hot air out, have not had any problems with getting rain or snow or ice on the engine. Like others, a completely nonfunctional hood scoop seemed to defeat the purpose. I always wanted a vehicle with flames and a hood scoop.

I think, but am not sure, that a moon visor would make it look even wilder. Maybe like a 50’s Oldsmobile or something. I have NEVER seen a truck or picture of one of these trucks with a hood scoop and moon visor.

Anyway, to each own. Isn’t that the point of these trucks? Just glad I am not counting cup holders or wondering why transmission can not be serviced.

Take care and drive safe.

View attachment 443982

View attachment 443983

View attachment 443984
Was wondering if I'd see yours pop up in here! Forgot how good that scoop looks, still got a link or anything to it by chance?

Back