Aftermarket Crossbars / Roof Racks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Crossbars / Roof Racks

leland

Reaction score
City, State
Northville MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Ford aftermarket roof rails.

I went to a Ford dealer to get roof rails for the 2011 Explorer XLT I received 3/14/11. I first received the rails without hardware. After two weeks and a call, I received the hardware. When I tried to install the kits, nothing fit. I could not insert the plastic into the rails without modifying the upper rear plastic. Then when trying to fit the rail onto the mounting hardware, the rail has 0.175" thick plastic that must fit into 0.125" gap. After modifying the 4 ends of the rails and a few choice words about the quality of Ford aftermarket engineering, it works. I glad I had a band saw and a mill to modify the parts. Has anyone else encountered problems with roof rail assembly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no, something was seriously wrong with what you received. Had my Ford crossbars shipped to me after buying my Explorer. It took about 10 minutes and a screw driver to install them. Perfect fit, no wind noise; couldn't have been easier to install.

I just installed mine yesterday, and at first, I didn't think they were going to fit either. Within a minute or so, I realized I wasn't doing it right. The mounting pieces that slide into the roof rail channel don't go completely inside of the channel, they go half-in, half-out. Once those slid in (which they did easily), the roof rails attached without much effort either. It is possible that you got the wrong parts, but with the right parts installed properly, I found it to be a quick and easy job - and everything fit just fine.

And I know this is obvious, but make sure you're using the right rails in the right spot - they are labeled 'front' and 'back' (or 'rear'?)

Hope that helps.

I have some Oem Cross-Bar's that came with the explorer that are still in the box if you want to give it a try again? That's if your's are unusable...

I just installed a Thule roof rack with the Thule Big Mouth mountian bike carrier.
Did not feel comfortable with the factory cross bars.

In a couple of weeks would like to install the Thule Moab Basket.

Has anyone done this yet?
Also looking into the Kayak mounts.

:ttiwwp:

That there is funny!

I just installed a Thule roof rack with the Thule Big Mouth mountian bike carrier.
Did not feel comfortable with the factory cross bars.

In a couple of weeks would like to install the Thule Moab Basket.

Has anyone done this yet?
Also looking into the Kayak mounts.

What exactly is it about the factory cross bars that makes u feel uncomfortable? I was just about to buy a set, so I'm curious, as I'm sure a lot of other people on here are since they don't usually come with the vehicle.
Thanks

What bars do you have? Do they whistle?

I went with the:
-Thule Crossroad Railing Foot Pack (4 pc.)
-Thule 58" load bars (2 pc.)
-Thule locks (6 pc.)
-Thule big mouth bike racks

There was alot of wind noise...
So pick up the Thule Fairing, and now do not notice any more wind noice.
next looking into the Thule roof M.O.A.B.
http://www.amazon.com/Thule-690XT-MOAB-Basket-King/dp/accessories/B001WRRK4E

In regards to the factory set, they do not seem that sturdy for what I want to do.
1 mtn bike, and maybe 2 kayaks...and driving on the freeway.

I did this with the factory racks on my old 4 Runner and was a stressful ordeal. Ended up getting a Thule rack for peace of mind.

That is exactly what I purchased. I actually bought the factory bars first and installed them. They didn't whistle but I didn't like how they curved and did not match the flat roof line. So I returned them and ordered the Thule racks.

Note that they are loud if you don't do anything to them. I was considering getting the air blocker thing but I dind't want a big fat ugly plastic piece across the top of my roof. So I took some small plastic coated black wire and wrapped the first bar. If you want, I can take pictures. Not a single sound. It's the same idea as the wrapped antena.

I like the way it looks better than the factory but as far as which one is better, pick the one that looks best to you.

I have the factory cross bars, curious what you don't like, they are good for factory bars, they are adjustable, I'm mounting my Thule bike rack tomorrow, removed it from my truck and purchased the rack mounts today, let you know how it goes.

Pictures pictures pictures!! :)

Still no pics so...

:ttiwwp:

I installed the yakima low riders with 58" long round bars. The wind noise was horrible, so I had to add the wind fairing, which drastically reduced wind noise.

Yeah, I know, my post is useless without pictures, but I don't have an imaging host address! :D:p:

Roof top cargo box?

I have a 2012 Explorer and was interested in getting a roof top cargo box. I looked at Thule and Yakima, but going through both sites and entering the type and year of car, neither company had any product that would "fit" the new Explorer. Only thing that would come up were the roof cross rails. The cross rails are about double the cost of the Ford OEM cross rails. So for those you have roof top storage or those looking to do the same, Are the Ford OEM cross rails worth the money? Or would you recommend another company cross rail? I do like the look of the OEM cross rails...seem to slip into the channels on the roof rails. Also, what roof top box would folks recommend? Since the manufacturers cannot recommend a product to properly "fit", wondering what others are doing/getting. I also noticed on the Ford site it looks like getting a dealer installed roof top storage box is no longer available...I thought when you build an X on the site you could choose a thule box as an exterior accessory(dealer installed)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back