Aftermarket fenders w/o flare?

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
I'm looking for a set of aftermarket front fenders.

1. I want them to have a larger wheel well diameter for large off-road tires BUT retain the stock look, i.e. not have the flare stick out so much like the glassworkunlimited.com fenders.

2. I also want to retain the factory plastic "platinum" sport trim. I'm assuming I might have to customize (lengthen) the factory trim myself and add them.

3. Preferably, I would want steel (to retain the heavy brutish ford character), but looks like fiberglass is the choice for aftermarket.

A little off my own topic: I was watching that dirt-bike show on Spike and they talked about how plastic body parts were preferable because of their bend-back-into-shape property. Now, I'm thinking, imagine an off-road truck made all out of plastic? Do the paint jobs on plastic not look as good as metal and fiberglass?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think most plastic cars are not painted, but rather "decaled" with vinyl I saw this on tv, that way they can just replace a part and apply the decal to that area with out having to repaint.

-Rich

Your best bet (albeit expensive) would to buy some good used fenders, have them cut the diameter you want and have the lip rolled.

i think one of the reasons they dont make cars out of just plasitc for the body is that it would take alot away from the protecton of haveing a body around you.

GM has been makeing a few cars with the plastic (urethane) body parts for years now. The first was the Fiero with the outer body all plastic. They work fine until it gets cold out. Then if you hit something it brakes and shatters. But in warmer weather they bend and flex just like your Urethane Bumpers do

In order to obtain your stock trim, they need to be the same size as the wheel well. Like you said, some custom work will be needed there.

I know Tim at glassworks used to make a 3" pull for Rangers which looked like a stock fender with just the lip flared out around the wheel well. You might check to see if they or Perry's Fab 'n Fiber make something like that for the Explorer. If not, I'm going to have to agree with Mr. Whitaker. :)

Back