• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Gauges?

Melon

Reaction score
City, State
Blair, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT 5.0
We all know the oil pressure gauge is a joke. Fairly sure the water temp gauge isn't 100% accurate either. I've been throwing the idea around of installing an electric oil psi and water temp gauges.

Anyone else done this? Where did you put them? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could also look into the UltraGauge or ScanGauge. I have the SG in my Explorer and UG in my Expedition. Both mounted on the dash above the factory gauges.

And yes, the water temp gauge doesn't really do anything. It'll be "in the middle" when my ScanGauge is at like 140 degrees. And still "in the middle" when the water temp is 200 degrees.

I have an Ultra Gauge in my '98 SOHC 4x4. I have it set to read instant and avg mph, charging level, oil interval, and DTE. Once in a great while will I look at the other gauge pages but very seldom. I mean, its great to have the info about coolant temp, etc.. but unless there is an issue that needs to be monitored and/or addressed, the info is somewhat superfluous. But its nice to know you can retrieve that kind of info if needed.

The greatest value comes in reading OBD codes and resetting the !@#*$!@ CEL!!

You could install a 2 gauge pod on your A-pillar. The electrical gauges are readily available. Auto Meter is a good brand. The hard part is finding a place to install the sending units. The OE oil pressure gauge port is behind the power steering pump, not easy to get to and the gauge sending unit would probably not fit in the small space w/out doing some engineering. The water temp sender is smaller, but there's nowhere to install it w/out drilling a hole in something. ScanGauge/UltraGauge would be much easier to check the real numbers.

Ford makes the OE gauges dumb so the average consumer doesn't freak out when they see needles moving around. There's a way to modify the oil pressure gauge by removing a resistor on the gauge or circuit board. The water temp gauge is also partially dumb, but not as dumb as the oil pressure gauge (which is more of an ON/OFF switch).

^^and at that point, a $75 UltraGauge looks really good. For the price of a single Autometer gauge, you can monitor dozens of parameters monitored by the ECU. All you have to do is plug it into the OBDII connector. No running wires through the firewall, no sending units to mount.

And you can reset check engine codes.

And you can transfer it to a new vehicle in about 2-3 minutes.

I only use Autometer gauges...I have them in a three pod Mustang A-pillar setup...I have electric fuel pressure, electric oil pressure, and voltmeter...
P6070388.jpg

Good subject. Maybe someone will do what I've wished for before I get to it, which will be last most likely.

The clusters of these Explorers are relatively large and show a lot. But of course they lack accuracy and details.

I want a digital readout of the oil pressure, water temp, voltage, and fuel press(for boost). Digital gauges are common, but I don't want a bunch of added things if I can find a better way.

Who is a good electrician, and can locate do it yourself LED displays from say Radio Shack etc? I think it should be little trouble to cut a tiny rectangular hole behind each existing gauge display, and mount a small LED display behind the hole. Route wiring from each new display, to a small aftermarket gauge buried in the dash. It would require an aftermarket gauge that has a compatible LED output, most do not I gather. Get into it and locate the output circuit, and tap into that with new output wires, leading them to the new LED's in the dash.

Okay, who's up to it, volunteers welcomed.

There is a company that offers digital gauges (Dakota Digital) in a variety of formats. You could probably adapt something they sell to have it fit the Explorer gauge cluster, or put them in a pod (it wouldn't be inexpensive). Personally I don't like digital gauges and much prefer analog displays. To me digital displays require an extra step your brain has to make before it registers whether the number you're seeing is w/in the acceptable range. With an analog gauge, you can clock them so the acceptable range is straight up, which requires to translation.

Radio Shack? Didn't they go out of business several years ago?

I agree, I prefer analog gauges. But as everyone says the OEM stuff is usually inaccurate or just a dummy light(oil pressure gauge is just an ON/OFF indicator).

I have a few Dakota Digital gauges planned to use in a gauge pod on the "A" pillar. Those will be unrelated to the stock cluster gauges, like vacuum/boost, trans temp, and A/F ratio.

I forgot that Radio Shack went under, I liked their convenience for electronics items, but not their main source being China. I know what percentage of our stuff is Asian, but I don't like it and try not to support it.

Actually, Radio Shack filed a Restructuring Plan under the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Code. They have not "gone bankrupt" in the sense that they have ceased operations. The Restructuring Plan keeps about 1700 Radio Shack stores open under Sprint's ownership while Sprint gets a certain amount of square footage in the remaining open RS's to market Sprint products. Also, about 1000 RS locations owned by franchisees (not RS corporate owned stores) are not part of the Chapter 11 proceedings and remain open, although RS and the franchisees are actively searching for a global partner to take over franchise segment operations. So yeah, if you can find one, you can still go into a Radio Shack store and buy a crappy Realistic brand radio or some obscure diode if you need to.

Why do I know this stuff? Radio Shack is a Fort Worth company and I keep up with the local business journals. And, being a Chef is a second career for me. I used to be a suit and tie marketing type for a Global 50 company that, well, went bankrupt and DID cease operations. I was able to get out before the SHTF and managed to retain my severance package intact. Went culinary school and the rest is history! Ha!

I have them in a three pod Mustang A-pillar setup...I have electric fuel pressure, electric oil pressure, and voltmeter...View attachment 91508

didnt know a mustang pod would work. i took two explorer duel pods, cut one in haft at butted the two together.

Back