• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Headunit Options?

bmrrwolfe

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Interceptor
I recently picked up a 2018 Explorer PIU (without knowing) that does not have SYNC. I've tried to look through some threads on here but am finding little luck. Has anyone been able to either add SYNC to an Explorer that did not from the factory with it? Or has anyone had any success install an aftermarket headunit in a 2016+? I see options for pre 2016, but not much for the 16-18 years.

I feel like I got this Explorer for a steal, and really like it, but the the lack of having Bluetooth or Sirius really sucks.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one has put in an aftermarket unit into a PIU?? For as many as I see around, and for sale I am surprised this is not a common first upgrade.

Go to the Crutchfield.com website. I just looked. That have head units for some 2018 Explorers.

Go to the Crutchfield.com website. I just looked. That have head units for some 2018 Explorers.

I checked Crutchfield, and it does not show any available options, or any installion dash kilts/wiring harnesses that fit.

Has anyone just tried to simply add the Sync Module to the existing 4" screen? I would assume the wiring is not the same, but curious could anyone be able to post pictures of connections for the 4" screen with Sync? Or possibly a wiring diagram?

subscribed, also interested

Well just for kicks I pulled the existing unit to see what the wiring looked like.. Anyone with the 4" Sync, could you post your wiring?

There really isn't much there, assuming it runs to the ACM (I think its called) and not sure what the difference is there from the Sync vs no Sync?

I'm not sure but I think the difference is that those with Sync have the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module). I'm sure I'll be corrected if that is incorrect. ;)

Peter

I'm not sure but I think the difference is that those with Sync have the APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module). I'm sure I'll be corrected if that is incorrect. ;)

Peter

I know any of the 8" screens have the AIPM mounted with the screen, but do the 4" Sync still have a AIPM? I can't seem to find much online..

I know any of the 8" screens have the AIPM mounted with the screen, but do the 4" Sync still have a AIPM? I can't seem to find much online..
They may not. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MyFord Touch system.

check out the upgrade video from 4dtech. it does a good job of showing the connectors and what they do.
It should show you what all is there in a 4" sync system so you can compare

check out the upgrade video from 4dtech. it does a good job of showing the connectors and what they do.
It should show you what all is there in a 4" sync system so you can compare

Thanks that is helpful to see what would be there with the Sync system. I really wish there was an easier option to add Sync or any aftermarket headunit...

I have almost finished conversion from 4" to 8" sync 3. I have 2017 Explorer Base and recently bought parts from crashed 2018 Explorer. I have replaced: front panel, radio, APIM, screen, HVAC controller and USB hub. I have ordered conversion harness and GPS from bestycar on ebay. For the moment almost everything is working: bluetooth (phone and media), radio, camera, driving wheel steering, HVAC and navigation. The only remaining problem is that FORSCAN can't see APIM so it is not possible to change regional settings. It looks that one CAN bus is not connected. I'm trying to investigate the problem.

I have almost finished conversion from 4" to 8" sync 3. I have 2017 Explorer Base and recently bought parts from crashed 2018 Explorer. I have replaced: front panel, radio, APIM, screen, HVAC controller and USB hub. I have ordered conversion harness and GPS from bestycar on ebay. For the moment almost everything is working: bluetooth (phone and media), radio, camera, driving wheel steering, HVAC and navigation. The only remaining problem is that FORSCAN can't see APIM so it is not possible to change regional settings. It looks that one CAN bus is not connected. I'm trying to investigate the problem.

You started with the 4" with Sync, correct? The issue I am having is my PIU does not have Sync to be able to make the standard 4" to 8" conversion. I was hoping someone else with a PIU (as it appears there are quite a few out there) has been able to make something work.

Welcome to the Forum Jarek. :wave:

Peter

That kit only works if you have SYNC to begin with. Most of us with PIU's do not have factory SYNC, which really limits anything that we can do to upgrade.

Good to know! I didn't realize the PIU didn't come with SYNC, tho it makes sense for what they are built for.. Even still, it should be a minimum if you ask me.. I'll keep lookin! See if I can be of any help. Following!

Good to know! I didn't realize the PIU didn't come with SYNC, tho it makes sense for what they are built for.. Even still, it should be a minimum if you ask me.. I'll keep lookin! See if I can be of any help. Following!

Yeah, I bought my PIU with the assumption that it was standard. I didn't realize what a hassle trying to upgrade would have been!
I appreciate it!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 16 explorer I just recently bought a screen, with the bezel and With the box from a crashed 2017. So after seeing some comments I’m more than likely going to need a harness and the usb hub.

Back