Aftermarket Headunit Options? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Headunit Options?

You will need the usb hub for CarPlay to work, you will need the power pigtail that will go from the usb harness to the new hub. (There are 3 different pigtails, find which one goes to the 2016). You will need to purchase a gps antenna with fakra plug(the sync2 uses a different type and not compatible). The apim attached to the back of the screen will have to be programmed to your car. You will need a laptop snd the Program “Forscan”, purchase an extended license (program is free, license is 10.00). You will need to purchase an ELM327 adapter that reads both HS-CAN snd MS-CAN.
You can pay someone to write the values for you for around 60.00 (this is what I did, found his name on the forscan forum). You furnish your vin number, he will send you the file snd explicit instructions, very easy. Look up the video and YouTube how to do the whole remove and replace. You program, after all is back together. By the way, forscan can be used to do programming of many things. I got it initially to program new key fob, since I only had one. Their forum is great.
After you have it working, check your sync version and update. Many threads on the subject here.
Ii was nervous about the whole swap, but love the outcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum David. :wave:

Peter

You will need the usb hub for CarPlay to work, you will need the power pigtail that will go from the usb harness to the new hub. (There are 3 different pigtails, find which one goes to the 2016). You will need to purchase a gps antenna with fakra plug(the sync2 uses a different type and not compatible). The apim attached to the back of the screen will have to be programmed to your car. You will need a laptop snd the Program “Forscan”, purchase an extended license (program is free, license is 10.00). You will need to purchase an ELM327 adapter that reads both HS-CAN snd MS-CAN.
You can pay someone to write the values for you for around 60.00 (this is what I did, found his name on the forscan forum). You furnish your vin number, he will send you the file snd explicit instructions, very easy. Look up the video and YouTube how to do the whole remove and replace. You program, after all is back together. By the way, forscan can be used to do programming of many things. I got it initially to program new key fob, since I only had one. Their forum is great.
After you have it working, check your sync version and update. Many threads on the subject here.
Ii was nervous about the whole swap, but love the outcome.
Thank you for your response I really appreciate it I will do that wish me luck.

Good luck. I ended up getting the CarPlay2air adapter and this gave me wireless CarPlay

I have a 16 explorer I just recently bought a screen, with the bezel and With the box from a crashed 2017. So after seeing some comments I’m more than likely going to need a harness and the usb hub.
So you have an Explorer without the Sony system and you want to install a Sony system on it? That thing controls the heating, cooling. I think it would be impractical to attempt that.

Where did he mention “Sony”?

I just saw this on the forums:

Also, take a look here:

The 2nd link is for one of our members, jmr061.

Peter

My 2018 XLT only came with the basic 4" screen as well, with no Navigation, but I, too, wanted that option badly.

Rather than pay Ford for both parts and labor, to retrofit and upgrade my Explorer, I instead purchased the complete kit from Infotainment. While it requires an owner who is not afraid to tear-apart their center stack and remove/replace parts, it was very do-able, and has worked pretty well since I first installed it about a year ago. Part of the purchasing process requires that you provide them your vehicle's VIN number, as apparently they have to program that in to the electronics first, before this will work in your vehicle. And, while their website says that some of the parts may be "reconditioned", virtually ALL of the parts I received were brand-new OEM Ford parts in their original sealed packaging, and even the 8" color touchscreen that I received was in brand-new condition... all of which was surprising and appreciated by me. For example, their website says that you will receive a reconditioned center-stack bezel... but what I received was a brand-new one, still sealed in the OEM Ford box! Perhaps it had to do with the availability of their finding good used parts through their reconditioned parts sources, but again, most of the parts they sent me were mostly brand-new!

Anyway, here is the link to the system I bought:

I had sync2, so the upgrade was less expensive. I looked at all the companies offering the upgrade, but too expensive for this old man. I started purchasing the components, one at a time, until i had everything. I paid a guy on ForScan forum 60.00 to provide me with file to write to apim.
Total cost 500.00.

The issue is trying to upgrade without the existing SYNC. The conversion from Sync 2 to 3, and even the basic 4" SYNC1 to 8" is straight forward. Without the existing SYNC, the aftermarket Tesla style is not compatible, and the dash kit to swap in a double din are only for 2011-15. I guess its just the few of us out here with a 16-19 PIU that did not have the factory SYNC that are stuck without an easy direct swap.

Bummer Dude

Not all hope is lost. After alot of searching I have seen one or two members say that they were able to make the swap, just need to add some wiring, and enable some items in Forscan. I was just hoping for some clarification, and a few pics to help out to ensure I have the right plans.

I am rooting for your successful swap

In my case, the Infotainment kit came with all of the wiring and adapters needed, to make the conversion from the small 4" no-features screen to the full-blown Sync-3 with NAV system... so there was nothing else I needed to buy.

Was it expensive? Yes.

Am I glad I did it? Oh, yes!

Back