Aftermarket Steering Shaft for bodylift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Steering Shaft for bodylift?

SheldonXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all, i’m ready to buy and tackle a 3” body lift on my 2010 explorer, but i’ve heard good and bad things about the extension that comes with the PA ranger kit.

I’ve seen some old dead links about a extended aftermarket steering shaft, is this still a thing? i would spend a good amount of money for a safe alternative to a little piece of extension.

Thank you

I’m not sure about your truck but when I do a 2-3” body lift on the second gen trucks (95-01, 02-04 sport and trac) I simply extend the factory shaft to reach and drill a new hole about 1.50 up from the original, avoid the need for the extension

I’m not sure about your truck but when I do a 2-3” body lift on the second gen trucks (95-01, 02-04 sport and trac) I simply extend the factory shaft to reach and drill a new hole about 1.50 up from the original, avoid the need for the extension
damn I never thought of that, but how easy was that to tackle? I got a junkyard steering shaft to play with before i touch mine and that wasn’t easy to get out because it was a little cramped near the firewall, did you remove anything or just drilled it with the space you had?

The intermediate shaft is removed from the truck to drill the hole

On the gem ii it is only a couple of 13mm bolts and then You pry it off the rack and slide it off the steering shaft on the wheel side

Mark the hole first by stretching the shaft as far as you can… with the body lift in place
I have done a couple of trucks this way

I prefer 2” body lift over 3” it makes things easier to install, less stretching

Back