Steering shaft extension (any help appreciated) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering shaft extension (any help appreciated)

SheldonXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys, any help is appreciated.

I’m going to be tackling a 3” bodylift and I’m getting my steering shaft cut and extended by a metal fabricator soon

Any idea on how much it should be extended out? I see the PA kit’s extension is tinier than 3” and I don’t wanna go overboard on it and not have it fit.

Thank you :)

1.5”

Hey guys, any help is appreciated.

I’m going to be tackling a 3” bodylift and I’m getting my steering shaft cut and extended by a metal fabricator soon

Any idea on how much it should be extended out? I see the PA kit’s extension is tinier than 3” and I don’t wanna go overboard on it and not have it fit.

Thank you :)
IDK if it is different on the 4th gens, but on 3rd, there is some sort of pushfit type bearing bushing under dash, if after wards you get a small amout of play in steering wheel, slight clinking you'll have to check that it did not slide out. I was able to physically get mine back in with alot of contorting and brute force.

Also on the body lift, if the ABS block (especially since you are north in Mass. there are plastic clip brake line holders near it, if it has the metal braided flex compression built into the brake lines right under the ABS block, remove the clip before lifting. If the brake lines have any rusting they will fail. Anecdotal experience here.

Back