Aftermarket Temperature Gauge Sender | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Temperature Gauge Sender

b05622

Reaction score
City, State
Youngstown, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Ranger FX4
I was refered to your board by our chapter vice president on Ford Truck World. I have an '03 Ranger with the 4.0L engine. I was all set to back the stock temperature sender out, put in a T fitting, and screw everything back together. I found out tonight that the sender dosen't screw in, it clips into the plastic thermostat housing with a cotter pin. With this setup in mind, where would you put the sender? I thought about the heater supply hose, but it looks like there's a vacumn operated valve on the return side that would close off the heater core and stop water flow. Can I mount it where the engine block heater would go? And where is that?

I want the aftermarket gauge because I like having real numbers to see what's going on inside the engine. I looked at a bunch of the posts, that scan gauge tool is looking good, but I already have the gauges mounted on my A-pillar.

Thanks for the help.

Are you sure you are looking at the sender for the guage and not the sensor for the computer. I don't know anything about the '03 but all the older stuff I am familiar with uses 2 different coolant temp sensors that are located in different areas. One is used by the guage and the other by the computer only.

If you do have a second that is for the guage only(probably located elsewhere on the intake manifold, you could hook up at that hole but you would loose function of your in dash guage.

It is the gauge sender...

The two sensors (ECU and gauge) are right next to each other. Both have the setup using the clip and collar. I have the '03 factory service manual, so i'm sure I have the correct sender. Any ideas, anyone?

Back