Aftermarket Tow Hitch for 2000 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Tow Hitch for 2000 Explorer Sport

phalgun

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2-door that is all-wheel drive. I'm a total noob when it comes to working on cars. I would like to get a tow hitch installed so I can trailer some motorcycles. Does anyone have any recommendations for a tow hitch package that will fit on my Explorer? Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice truck! I have one as well. Go to any major auto parts store or website. Or a truck accessory store for sure. About any bolt on hitch will work just fine. Don't let them install it either. If you can operate a socket wrench and have jackstands or a couple friends, it will bolt on in minutes. Don't worry, we can walk you through it. The wiring is easy, too. Just search around and there will be plenty of threads on the best way to add a plug.

BTW, if you're going to tow much of anything, you should also consider swapping out your mono-leaf springs for 4 door leaf packs. I'm sure your rear bumper is probably about 3" closer to the ground than it was when it left the dealership. I just replaced mine. Again, lots of threads about that, too

The search button is your friend...

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I would go with at least a Class 3 hitch.

Look at offerings from Hidden Hitch.

Good luck ....

I would go with at least a Class 3 hitch.

Good point. I was taking that fact for granted, but useful for a new guy. Class 3 or 4 is definitely the way to go.

Back