• Register Today It's free!

air bag dash light?

sgmtino

Reaction score
City, State
benton , ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 awd xlt
driving home today my air bag light on the dash started blinking 3 times then it would stop it did this over and over then about a mile from home the light stayed on any info to what this means thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

consult a body shop with an air bag scan tool

Or ....When first turned on, the Air Bag Light should blink a two digit code ( the number of blinks ).

Watch for that and post the data here; we can then help diagnose your problem.

mine did that

Took it to the dealer 2x and they couldn't find a problem, just reset it. Then after my accident, the body guy took it to find the problem and it was a short in the passenger side air bag (that's what they told me). Well, now the light has burned out and is replaced by a 'chime' - 4 in a row, 5 times... every half hour. It's going BACK to the dealer next week, of course now it's not under warranty, but I refuse to pay for them to fix it. They should've found that the first two times, right?

jrzgrl said:
Took it to the dealer 2x and they couldn't find a problem, just reset it. Then after my accident, the body guy took it to find the problem and it was a short in the passenger side air bag (that's what they told me).

Well, now the light has burned out and is replaced by a 'chime' - 4 in a row, 5 times... every half hour.

It's going BACK to the dealer next week, of course now it's not under warranty, but I refuse to pay for them to fix it. They should've found that the first two times, right?

Sounds like an incompentent dealer service department to me; they definately have a scanner that will read the air bag trouvle codes.

Who "replaced" the light with a chime? Never heard of such a thing.

What do you expect the dealer to do since you refuse to pay for their service?

hey got the number of flashes for my air bag light flashes 3 times then 6 times does this for a while then stays on what does that mean and how much is it gonna cost to fix it thanks

The light flasj DCT indicates the following:

V: LFC 36/DTC B1993 - Driver Air Bag Circuit Short to Ground

Normal Operation
The Restraints Control Module (RCM) monitors the resistance to ground at RCM C1 pins 2 and 3. If the resistance is less than 1000 ohms at either pin, the RCM will interpret that as a ground short, store Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B1993 and flash Lamp Fault Code (LFC) 36.

Possible Causes
A driver side air bag circuit short to ground can be caused by:

grounded wiring on circuit 1257 (WH/LB).
damaged wiring on circuit 1258 (BN/LB).
ground short in the driver side air bag module.
an RCM internal concern.
-----------------------------------------------

W: LFC 36/DTC B1992 - Driver Air Bag Ckt Short to Batt/Ignition

Normal Operation
The Restraints Control Module (RCM) monitors the driver side air bag circuits at RCM C1 pins 2 and 3 for a short to battery or ignition. If battery or ignition voltage is detected, the RCM will store Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B1992 and flash Lamp Fault Code (LFC) 36.

Possible Causes
A driver side air bag circuit short to battery or ignition can be caused by:

battery or ignition voltage on circuit 1257 (WH/LB).
battery or ignition voltage on circuit 1258 (BN/LB).
battery or ignition voltage short in the driver side air bag.
an RCM internal concern.

-----------------------------------------

X: LFC 36/DTC B1994 - Driver Side Air Bag Ckt Resistance High

Normal Operation
The Restraints Control Module (RCM) monitors the resistance of the driver side air bag circuit loop and the air bag module igniter at RCM C1 pins 2 and 3. If the resistance is greater than 3.6 ohms , the RCM will store Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B1994 and flash Lamp Fault Code (LFC) 36.

Possible Causes
A high resistance on the driver side air bag circuit can be caused by:

damaged wiring on circuit 1257 (WH/LB).
damaged wiring on circuit 1258 (BN/LB).
damaged driver side air bag module.
damaged RCM.
-------------------------------------

Y: LFC 36/DTC B1995 - Driver Side Air Bag Ckt Resistance Low

Normal Operation
The Restrains Control Module (RCM) monitors the resistance of the driver side air bag circuit loop and the air bag module igniter at RCM C1 pin 2 and 3. If the resistance is less than 1.4 ohms , the RCM will store Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) B1995 and flash Lamp Fault Code (LFC) 36.

Possible Causes
A low resistance on the driver side air bag circuit can be caused by:

damaged wiring on circuit 1257 (WH/LB).
damaged wiring on circuit 1258 (BN/LB)
damaged driver side air bag module.
damaged RCM.
worn or damaged shorting bar or camming beam in C233 or C313.

Back