AIR BAG LIGHT !!

daniel cauchon

Reaction score
City, State
Terrebonne,Province of Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Limited
Good Morning everyone..
I have a small prob here...my air bag light keeps flashing !! here`s the patern.. when I start the Ex the light flashes 2 times and off 2 times and off and then comes back on and stays on always....it started doing that after going through a car wash...?? can anybody help me with this ?..

thank`s and Happy new Year !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

May be a bad airbag sensor. One of mine went bad at 95K and it was like $150 to get replaced. I would get it looked at by a dealer though...if the air bags deploy, the charges will be up past $1,000 so get it checked as soon as convienient and bring it to ford verses a neighborhood mechanic.

The flashing represents a "22" code. With a scanner it will show as B1922.

According to Ford Factory Service B1922 (22)= Safing sensor output circuit shorted.

Here is what Ford lists for this code.

Pinpoint Test E: LFC 22/DTC B1922 — Safing Sensor Output Circuit Shorted to Battery Voltage

LFC 22/DTC B1922 — Safing Sensor Output Circuit Shorted to Battery Voltage

Normal Operation

The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) measures the voltage at C232-2, circuit 614 (GY/O), C232-3, circuit 615 (GY/W), C232-4, circuit 616 (PK/BK), and C232-5, circuit 607 (LB/O), of the air bag diagnostic monitor connector. The voltage at these pins is set by the air bag diagnostic monitor and varies with charging system voltage. The expected voltages are shown in the following table. If the air bag diagnostic monitor measures a voltage of more than five volts on any of these pins, the air bag diagnostic monitor will store in memory the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1922 and flash lamp fault code (LFC) 22 on the air bag indicator. Should the unexpected high voltage at C232-2, circuit 614 (GY/O), C232-3, circuit 615 (GY/W), C232-4, circuit 616 (PK/BK); or C232-5, circuit 607 (LB/O), be repaired or intermittent, the air bag diagnostic monitor will store a DTC B1922 in memory.

Possible Causes

High voltage at air bag diagnostic monitor C232-2, C232-3, C232-4 or C232-5 can be caused by:

A short to battery or ignition on circuits 607 (LB/O), C232-5, 614 (GY/O), C232-2, 615 (GY/W), C232-3, or 616 (PK/BK), C232-4 causing the diagnostic voltage to rise.

A short in the air bag sliding contact (14A664) between circuits 614 (GY/O), C232-2, or 615 (GY/W), C232-3 and some of the horn or speed control wiring.

An internal air bag diagnostic monitor failure such as a short across the normally open contacts of the safing sensor.

thank`s very much Brad.. but tell me if I disconect the battery cable and wait , will it reset the code ??

I don't think it will. Airbag codes must be deleted via scanner.

Anyone Any other suggestion ??

I would disconnect both battery cables for like an hour then try it and see if it flashes. i would not attemp to mess with the air bag system though just in case...

thank`s I will try that...don`t worry I will never touch this..I don`t want it to blow up in my face while driving !!

I have had experiance with 2 fords with air bag lights flashing. My mom's 94 ford van...the clockspring broke in the steering wheel and caused the horn, cruise control to not work, plus the air bag light was flashing.
In my 95 Explorer the driver's side sensor went bad or something and caused the same flashing.
Now my 95 Explorer's air bags are deployed and the light does yet the same flash. Ford wanted $1400 to put new bags in...

what caused the deployment ???

I was offroading a little too hard. Flew through the air for about 40 feet down the backside of a dune. i guess the landing exerted enough force on the front of the truck to deploy the bags.

ok , I got scared theri for a moment !! I though it was due to the light being on !!

No, it *shouldn't* go off if the light is flashing....not even if you get into an accident...but i would not trust it...

No, disconnecting the battery will not clear an air bag code.
An air bag system in fault is more likely to go off inappropriately. Get it looked into asap.

I didn;t know if it would clear the code, but figured disconnecting the bettery couldn;t hurt...but still the dealer needs to see it

another try this morning...any techical thing I could do to try and find out what the prob is ??? without going to the dealer and being screwed by our nice Local Ford dealer..:confused:

well, you may be able to find out the problem, but in most cases you'll still have to be screwed by the local ford dealer because I would never attempt to repair the air bag system at all...it is way more expensive if you screw up and blow the airbags then it is to just pay to get it fixed right.

yeah I know but I was trying...I know I wont go and fool around with the air bag ...but I was looking for a quick way to turn off this f... lignt !! at least..

maybe pull a fuse? Or if the light bothers you so much put apiece of black electrical tape over it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is NO way to make the light go out if it is in fault.
Try visiting a high end body shop. Some of them have have air bag code readers.

Back