• Register Today It's free!

air bag light

buckdropper

Reaction score
City, State
southwestern N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hello everyone; I have a 96 xlt and the air bag light is flashing 1-2 any ideas what this could be and could these bags deploy due to the light being on?. Wife is very nervous:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure on everything else. But a few days ago, I read another air bag post. It said that if the computer detects a condition that might cause the bag to deploy without a reason, a switch will make a short circuit and blow the air bag fuse. Or something similar to that. So I guess don't worry.

Yeah, with the light on a bag is more likely to go off at an inapropriate time.
Many body shops should have a air bag code reader.
I would have to checked into asap.
If they can retrieve the code, you may beble to do the repair your self.

does anyone know what the 1-2 flashing code means??

No power to air bag system. My 95 X had the same yesterday. Ponyperformance.com had an air bag diag code listing. I checked my fuse in the power module and found the 10 amp fuse was blown. After I replaced the fuse, I got a 52 code indicating power restore. I hear it takes 255 clean cycles for the codes to go away. Or you'll need to take it to a dealer to clear it. I've heard that the code scanner tha AutoZone and others have will not clear the diag. A special code reader (~$2500 to ~$3000) is needed.

Back