• Register Today It's free!

air cleaner box

91starter

Reaction score
City, State
Granger IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
I have a 91 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Stock. Nothing special (yet). I spun out on some ice and stopped the truck against a tree. I hit on the passenger side front and busted the battery and the air cleaner box. I can't seem to find the air cleaner box anywhere. Anybody know of someplace I can get one for less than the $400 Ford wants?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

screw the air box and go to www.kustomz.com and but a kkm tru-rev intake

its only like $90

KKM

yea go with the KKM it will help ur engine plus it looks real cool:D

fc8d8fdc.jpg

PEACE

Thanks folks. I have looked for some improved performance filters. I have had trouble finding one that is made for my vehicle. I will check out the web site you gave me. Thanks again.

Just finished ordering a True-Rev Sport Induction kit. Thanks again for the help. We'll see how it works.

OK, I installed the performance air filter. Everything seems to be working great. However, there were a couple of vacuum hoses (I think) attached to the old air cleaner box. What are they for and what do I do with them now? Should I just plug them?

I am not sure exactly what those hoses are for but I (as well as most other members) have just pluged those hoses off with a screw or something simialar.

That's not good. Those hoses are there for a reason. Don't ask me for what... but I'm pretty sure it serves a purpose.

no you are supposed to plug the hoses up...i did it on my 92, didn't mess anything up

Yep, That's it too. I've actually did it to two explorers ('92 and '94) No problemo.

Thanks folks. I will plug them and see what happens. I haven't had any problems yet just leaving them unplugged. I suspect they have something to do with monitoring the intake air temp. Possibly to regulate air brought in from around the exhaust manifold.

as the instructions for the true-rev said, i blocked off one of the hoses (just wadded up some tape and sealed it off since they forgot to supply me with some sort of cap). i have a 1992 ex and the hose i blocked off goes over across the top of the engine and into maybe the intake manifold area. the other hose goes down under everything, possibly to the headers or heatriser area.

it works fine the way i have it. just make sure you reset the computer so it takes into account the new intake.

Thanks Eraser. I will give it a try.

Don't leave anything like that Unplugged or unfiltered, they can suck in dust & dirt.
I do not know specifically what they are, likely one is from the pcv valve.
Rob

One can be blocked, the other can be left open...

one goes from the air box to the air riser (that was can be removed completely or left open or blocked..

the other one goes across teh engine.. that one needs to be blocked.

~Mark

i think il take a look at the system on mine

Back